Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Cruisair Blower source??

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Steve I have the old style propeller blade evap fans. I have replaced several with ones out of graingers but the 3 speed motors they sell do not have enough speed difference. I do not want to rework the cabinetry or spend the $$ for new evaps is there any replacement motors that will work better?
    Like This ?....

EFB16-2.jpgEFB16-3.jpgEFB16-4.jpg

The Original motors were single speed...Yes the oldest models had 3 speed switches and a resistor with 3 taps...We always replaced that switch & the resistor with the newer Variable SCR Fan Speed Control that they still sell....You are able to set how low is low, with a pot accessed thru a hole in the side of the SCR control case...Then only use the High speed winding of your replacement motor...

However some motors do not like to be slowed that way & will overheat...With your's all I can say is try it...The SCR control is about $85 from Dometic.

I would like to say...I don't know if I would do it...Those air handlers didn't move enough air in the first place when shiny brand new....It you slow the fan much the coil will ice in cool, or the system will cycle on the high pressure switch in heat...

Replacing those air handlers with the EBO type like BobK has is not that big a deal, and really improves performance drastically...

Steve~

What Steve said X 10.

I still have one of the old ones like that and the new one is in the garage waiting for spare time to swap it out. The old fan is not worth repairing.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Here is some follow-up. First it is an EBO-7. Stock # 13107010, serial # B15014.

Access looks easy. See picture.

Mike, is there some special technique to removing the squirel cage or can the bearings or bushings be accessed while it is still assembled?

Attachment 10861

All input appreciated guys. I have reasonable mechanical skills, but have never been into small motors.

Bobk
    To remove that blower (Must be done) is not hard...Just remove the duct, Loosen the hose clamp that is around the round ring that attaches the blower to the coil, and there should be a couple of legs screwed in to the bottom of the blower housing that go down to the unit's mounting frame...Remove those....Then try to rotate the whole blower housing...This will break it loose and enable you to work it off from the coil (Remove that Return Air Grill to allow the motor room)

Now you have the blower in hand...You must remove the squirrel cage to get to the screws that hold the motor into the housing...You may need a torch to heat it & you may not...

The motor does have oil holes for front & rear bushings...They are on the outer lip/edge of the front and rear of the motor....But you may have to rotate the blower (while installed) to see them...

The squirrel cage fins are likely very dirty and not grabbing the air they used to...Clean them well...

Installing the $595 Replacement blower is much easier than messing with that blower/motor etc... It does not have that motor sticking out, it's quieter...Plus it moves up to 20% more air than that one did new...

Steve~

Thanks guys. When I get back to Florida I'll tear it down and see what happens. Hopefully just a new motor.

Bobk
    Chateau de Mer
    still lying Elizabeth City anchorage waiting for the winds to die.