Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Advice on taking the plunge.

A little more information on how you want to use the boat, where'd you cruise, how often, anchoring out, mooring etc, would help. When I was in your position a few years ago, we looked at much bigger boats (in fact there was a 67 Stephens and a 70 something Burger my wife adored) , but dialed back to this one as being "just right" for the two of us to run on our own, and being more than adequate for living on with occasional guests. Back to the old saying "buy the smallest boat YOU can be comfortable on, not the biggest boat you can afford".

And as experience has since taught us, there are many great experiences we couldn't have had or would have passed on out of caution if we had gone much bigger, such as the moorings in Boot Key Harbor and other places with length limits. Little anchorages where another 10 or 15 feet would have made me uncomfortable, nice docks and marinas where we were already stretching the limit. For actively cruising the east coast, bigger size is a limiting factor.

But if you are going to be an absentee owner, depending on where the boat will be, if you can find a good local captain that specializes in such things (and thereby isn't wandering off for weeks at a time doing deliveries or charters), he can in turn hire the detailers, technicians and mechanics as needed, run the boat on a regular basis to exercise engines and systems. He may already promote himself as a yacht maintenance company for that matter. I am in a marina here in NC with a lot of very high end custom and production sportfishers and you see both. Saw the same thing in at the swank Turnberry Isle in Aventura Florida when we were there, almost all the boats were absentee, and a few captains and maintenance companies looked after multiple boats. The owners may or may not actually run themselves when they come to use it.

Lots of businesses are doing very well right now. Some by simply taking advantage of the down times in other industries, others by attacking more timid competitors. There are also big opportunities in following demographic trends, such as the aging Baby boom population. Taking advantages of shifts in technologies is yet another. I know or work with a variety of entrepreneurs in each of these. The biggest limiter is access to reasonably priced capital.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

To the O.P. ; On the "Mortal Combat" boat, by chance was there any crystal onboard/present?

Kiwi
    Last edited by Kiwipushrod; 09-28-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Maybe a firepit too?

I would go with the Capt/girlfriend/couple senario. since your in your 60's it would be preferable for one or both having some medical backround. I cant tell you how many "type A" guys I've seen over the years hit the boat and whamo! I think its the sudden tension release that does it. Like you said your glass is half full and you need to be realistic about what you can physicly handle. To be honest in your 60's its close to empty. Also a couple can keep your "admiral" entertained when your not aboard. I've hung out with a lot of the single boat captains and if your not aboard your boat could end up being "party central" as most of the young bucks have a string of hotties that follow them around. But then again the party scene can be a lot of fun if your into that. Like my dad says hanging out with younger people keeps you young.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

No offense, but if you only have a "day or Two" to be on the boat with your Admiral, why do you want own a boat in the first place?? I assume you don't want to live on it?? For the time you have to spend on it Charter, for much less annual expense you can travel on a much much larger yacht with full crew etc and walk away at the end.

A 50-75' boat is a mid to small size yacht in todays terms, easily run by a couple if set up right.

That being said, if you just need an extra large hole to throw you money in so it won't weight down your pants , go for it.

I've been in marinas full of big boats that never move, are cleaned every week, maintained by a boat manager that just sit there month after month. A 72 hat sat in our marina for a year because the owner, a successful business owner, didn't have the time to take it 200 miles back to his hailing port. Hey the Bank Loves him.

" it would be much better for you to charter a boat when you want to be on it. Much more flexibility and much less headache and tied up cash."

Totally concur.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    " it would be much better for you to charter a boat when you want to be on it. Much more flexibility and much less headache and tied up cash."

Totally concur.
    Thats like the guys that tell me I can buy fish cheaper at the fish market. It aint about that!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Thanks to all for your feedback on this. The Admiral and I are going to begin shopping seriously in November when I return from the Middle East.

For those who comment on why I was thinking of a couple versus a single captain, a mature couple would make the wife more comfortable. Also, she does not want to be a galley slave any more. Thus, if we adopt the approach of the smaller boat (without a full time crew) and use a shore based captain most of our destinations will have shore side waterholes / galleys.

I am in pretty good shape and have done over 15 offshore deliveries (e.g. Newport to Bermuda to Tortola) so I can handle just about anything in reason. What does concern me is being alone on the boat with wife (who has only modest experience in boat handling) is what if something happens to me.. e.g. throwing out a back.

Either way that I choose to go, I have convinced the Admiral to go the the Chapman School in Florida to take the one week boat handling course. I think would be a good start that should be followed up with some one on one lessons from an experienced older captain who has a lot of miles under his keel. I think this would really build up her confidence and reduce my anxiety.

Thanks
    Spin

There is now doubt that having a couple will free both of you from working, incl provisioning etc and allow you to enjoy your time aboard

Another issue will be crew quarters for a couple. Most boats under 80/90' really don't have more a accommodations for a single captain, you re not going to find a couple willing to live in the typical crew cabin unless the layout has the master at the stern and your crew can use one of the guest SR at the how

Another scenario would be having a full time captain and hire a freelance stew/chef when needed. That s a viable option in your case
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

"Thats like the guys that tell me I can buy fish cheaper at the fish market. It aint about that!"

I'd be one of those guys!

OTOH, I throw away a lot of money on a variety of hobbies so I certainly understand the "ain't about that" part. It's one of the reasons Leica sells every M9 camera they can make at the 6995 USD list price...

No, I don't have one.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"