Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Allison M20 Service Manual questions

I'm looking for the service instructions for setting the oil pressure. Is it the long 6-six sided stud with a locknut to the right of the oil pump? Which way does it turn to adjust pressure up and down? Here is a pic.

Also, what is involved in cleaning the oil pickup strainer?
    Attached Images
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Allison M20 Service Manual questions

One other question: The fitting where the tach cable to the Glenndining synchronizer attaches to the tranny oil pump is loose and leaking a small amount of oil. Just tighten the nut or is this more involved? Here is another pic:
    Attached Images
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Allison M20 Service Manual questions

I can't remember the exact pressure setting (I think it's 140-150psi) but it has been discussed here a few times. Search the archives and you should find what you need. If you can't get the pressure up, then you may need to rebuild the pump. It's easy to remove and rebuild. Cleaning the strainer is straight forward. Make sure you get a tight seal when done or the oil will aerate and look milky.
    Jack Sardina