Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving the flybridge forward 4'

Has anyone ever heard of moving the helm of the flybridge on a 50' M/Y forward by 4' or so? Seems on all the newer vessels the helm is much more forward than my 1966 has it. Plus I could really use the room aft of the helm.
    Follow me as I restore a 1966 50' MY @ MotorMyBoat.com

Re: Moving the flybridge forward 4'

I have a 1965 50' motoryacht (hull #8). The previous owner had Slane Marine install a new-style bridge. It was supposedly for a 52' sportfish. The only problem is that is uses a mid-bridge helm which limits visibility forward and to the sides. If I stand more forward, where your helm would be if the bridge was moved, the vis is great.
    A couple of things here; once I got used to it, I had no problems at all. You learn that just because you cannot see the full bow or side deck area, does not mean that it is anywhere but where it belongs. U get used to judging distances. I can actually put my back to the wheel, sportfish style, and run the boat as if it were a sportfish. It is easier because I am also set up for Palm Beach-style controls.
    The other advantage to this set up, and yours, is that the helm is set up roughly in the middle of the boat. When running from my lower station, I feel that I am pulling a trailer like on a tractor-trailer. From the bridge, I feel like I'm running a center console.
    Sorry for the long post, but I wanted you to be sure before you move anything. That being said, you'll get used to any set-up your boat has the longer you use it that way. If you need more room, moving the bridge would work. Just be sure it's not going to screw up the looks of that classic!

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Capt K

On the 53MY Hatteras moved the bridge forward, but also moved the steering console from the front to the middle, so the wheel stays about the same. Doing so on the 50MY would mean losing the mast with its flag hoists, anchor light and the platform I stand on to raise flags. I need the mast for courtesy flags and quarantine flag and personal burgee. At some point you will lose the searchlight. I have mounted my satellite dish out there balancing the searchlight. It's good to have this to stand on to polish the horns or change the spotlight or anchor light bulbs.

We spend a lot of time on the open ocean and if there are any seas we get pretty wet up on the flying bridge from spray. I think that is why it is so far back. Jack Hargrave had an artist's eye for his designs. I would hesitate to change his porportions. The bridge was a $3,000 option on these boats from the factory. Compared to modern boats this bridge is pretty spartan. No barbeque, wet bar, air conditioning, hot tub, etc. Part of this is fashion, but part is probably weight distribution. Some years back a friend's son asked if I would move his wedding party of 50 or so from Dafusky I. to Hilton Head and back for the wedding ceremony. I checked with a naval engineer friend about whether I could carry this many. He said yes, if I kept them low, off the flybridge, and I removed our dinghy from its perch up there. Also everyone had to be instructed to not move from one side of the boat to the other if they saw porposes or something. My fuel and water tanks should be full to keep the center of gravity low. I believe you once said you were removing the fresh water tank from your guest stateroom. That removes about 750 lbs from your keel and will affect stability. You will also have to replace all the control cables and electrical wiring coming up to the bridge.

If I were building a new bridge I would consider changing my present seating which other than the helm seat is fore and aft on each side to more side to side seating as I find this more comfortable in a seaway. As is I have a fish box seat with back and storage under it up there. But being at the back it is windy there when under way. Mostly we sit sideways on the bridge. My 11 ft. Boston Whaler and 15 hp outboard are sideways aft of this. That's about as much weight as I am comfortable with aloft.

Be interesting to see what you decide.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 12-26-2016 at 03:44 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

58YF mooved the bidge forward 25", now the bridge line and the windshield lin is one and the same. the helm seat was thru bolted, so I replaced the headliner at the same time.

A win win.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwetzel View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of moving the helm of the flybridge on a 50' M/Y forward by 4' or so? Seems on all the newer vessels the helm is much more forward than my 1966 has it. Plus I could really use the room aft of the helm.
    Did you ever move the helm forward?

i am entertaining similar proposal.

We have a 1966 Yacht Fisherman. A new style flybridge was installed in about 1990. There is maybe 12" - 18" of eyebrow forward of the flybridge. The only downside that I can see is the windshield corner post are very thin on our model and I am always repairing stress cracks in them.

I looked at the profiles of each of you that stated you moved your fly bridge. No one has posted any photos. Any chance you guys to show a side profile to show how they look moved. Merry Christmas.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

In fact I did and couldn't be happier! It was a mess grinding the old sealant they used, but some new 5200 and it looks original. Luckily most the wiring and cables had enough slack.
    Follow me as I restore a 1966 50' MY @ MotorMyBoat.com

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I looked at the profiles of each of you that stated you moved your fly bridge. No one has posted any photos. Any chance you guys to show a side profile to show how they look moved. Merry Christmas.
    I'll visit the boat tomorrow and get a couple of photos.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I'm sure the view is best where the most water sprays. At least that's how it works on the convertibles.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.