Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

washer/ dryer advice for a 53 MY

We need to find a stackable washer and a dryer for our 1984, 53' MY.

The existing "Combo" unit is not worth the powder to blow it up! My allowable compartment/closet space in the forward stateroom/ crew quarters is 24"W X 69" H X 26" D.

We would appreciate any suggestions as this is becoming a very difficult find.

Thanks,
    Clamman

Re: washer/ dryer advice for a 53 MY

The direct replacement is a Bosch. I would have to get back to the boat to see what the model # is. Works fairly well. Washer is great, dryer is a ventless type - and works pretty good (for a ventless design). I'm not a live aboard and only use the washer dryer maybe 5 times a year. I'd recommend it if I'd have to get another. The door was remade so that it would shut.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

I added full size front loaders on the Maggie Mae. The larger capacity, less water usage and less energy sold me.

IMG_1117.jpg

I put in a pair of Bosch Axxis units. They are just shy of 24" wide and will fit in the hole. I had to shove them down the forward hatch because they did not fit through the doors to get them out of the forward stateroom. We tore up the old unit and removed it chunk by chunk. The Bosch Nexxis units don't fit - they are too wide.

My dryer is vented. I'm not a fan of ventless of any make or model, and because you have the vent hole right there behind the dryer, just use it. Vented dryers dry much faster and more efficiently. I'm not a fan of those all-in-one units (Splendide types) either. I live aboard, so I need laundry machines that work and work well.

I've had mine 3-4 years now, and I am extremely pleased with them. The Axxis units were difficult to find in stock, and I did have to wait a few months for the factory to run them out again, but all in all, it was worth the wait.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Maytag also makes a stackable 24" wide pair that have worked great for us in four years of full time use. Vented dryer.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Nag - thanks. It's the axxis that I have. I must also have the vented model since there is a vent. Disregard my thoughts on the above non-vented rant. It's still slow compared to my Maytag at home...
    1980 53MY

Quote Originally Posted by TopHattandTails View Post
    Nag - thanks. It's the axxis that I have. I must also have the vented model since there is a vent. Disregard my thoughts on the above non-vented rant. It's still slow compared to my Maytag at home...

Nag??? LOL

If it's slow, maybe it is non-vented. Mine is really fast, but part of that is because the washer spins so hard that the clothes are half dry just coming out of the washer. Is your dryer connected to that vent hole behind it? That determine the vented/non-vented question.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Sorry about that Ang. I saw it but the editor wouldn't save the change. Apologies for bad phone typing skills.
    1980 53MY

Back in the 80's I tore out my Fwd head and mounted Sanyo apartment sized portable units. Their not big enough for much more than fishy towels and undies. I used to keep the boat at Old Port cove and got bitched out about pumping sudzy water over the side.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

All,
    Our thanks to all those fine folks who took the time to
    respond to our question about a suitable stackable washer -drier
    for our 53 MY. Looks like Bosch is # 1 followed by Maytag.

Justin & Terry McCarthy
    aboard "HoocH" #629