Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What's she burn at idle?

Dumb questions, but I need to know... I've been asked to run a support boat for a gentleman that is attempting to break the Guinness record for swimming across Lake Erie from 3 different locations. He's doing this to raise $$$ for Cancer. He did a 7 mile swim, and a 12 mile swim, and next Spring will attempt the 36 mile swim. He has 2 kayakers next to him, a nutritionists on my boat, I will have a second captain with me, and likely a journalist or 2, and 3 or 4 site seers/ cheer leaders. We won't be setting any speed records (the 12 mile swim took 12.5 hours). QUESTION - how much fuel will I burn at idle? She is a 53, running with 871ti's, and can hold 700 gallons (630 usable). Second question, if I idle for 36-40 hours, how bad are the motors gonna hate me? Planning on running from Sandusky, OH to Canada. The water will need to be calm for the swimmer. Trying to figure range and if I need to reload for the trip back (would love to not have to clear customs).
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Re: What's she burn at idle?

I think you have enough fuel. I do not see how 630 gallons could not be enough for 72 miles? Even with your generator.

However, how do you plan or nunning at < 1 mph? I would guess that one engine at idle will push you at over 3 times your swimmer's speed.

Can you leave the swimmer every few hours and go run up your engines?

72 hours of constant in and out of gear to keep it at 1 mph might be a little tough on the gear and well as the captains. Gear lever elbow?

Regards,
    Vincent
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: What's she burnute at idle?

one engine tow a chute
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I assume that you wouldn't actually be very close to the swimmer. So one way to do the "speed thing" is constant "S" turns or circles.

Range won't be an issue at all since your fuel burn at idle will be very low compared to your normal hull speed. It takes very little power to idle along. Don't know an actual figure but I would expect between 2-3 NM per gallon.

DD recommends that engines that are "idled" for long periods maintain at least 8-900 RPM so the eng temp doesn't drop too low so that's a consideration since that means your speed would be up another knot or more and might go up enough to cause a wake which could affect the swimmer...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Now that you mention it, the gears might have a tougher time than the motors. Definity will be slipping in and out of gear. We will only be idling on the way there. The way back will be full cruise and 1950-2000 rpm. I've got to think about the gears more before I commit to this thing... I'm happy to help, but don't need to buy a gear or two doing it...
    Last edited by TopHattandTails; 09-13-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    1980 53MY

Quote Originally Posted by TopHattandTails View Post
    Now that you mention it, the gears might have a tougher time than the motors. Definity will be slipping in and out of gear. We will only be idling on the way their. The way back will be full cruise and 1950-2000 rpm. I've got to think about the gears more before I commit to this thing... I'm happy to help, but don't need to buy a gear or two doing it...
    Don't know what size dink you have or what size engine, but if you have say a 25 horse. Tie the dink to the swim platform and let the outboard push you slowly. I assume there would be someone on your boat besides you. The constant neutral to idle would be hard on your gears I would think.

The idea of using an outboard is a good one. You could have someone tow your boat with a small CC. Then on the way back you could switch that around and tow the CC back.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

you could actually side tie the CC and just steer the big boat with the rudders. Need to have someone ready to get into the cc if needed but you could always start the big boat to maneuver too.....Pat

I think the answer is leaning towards "leave the big boat at home and drive a CC". THe best solution might be a SF with trolling gears, but that might still be too fast. Maybe a nice Sailboat... Now tying a 10hp outboard to the 53's swim platform might be a thought - but I would never live it down if anyone got a photo... I'd think I'd still want my motors on to cool the shaft log. THis was a good idea, but turning out to not be feasible. Thanks for the convo on the sanity check.
    1980 53MY

Call Minkota and get 6 trolling motors for the swim platform. Run the genny to keep the batteries charged and then you dont have to worry about the mains.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.