Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 1965 50' motoryacht Lorelei IV for sale

Is that an anchor stowed next to the hull, with a hawsepipe? I don't think I've ever seen that on a MY this size. Interesting.

I love the 50/53 MY without a bridge - CLASSIC looking big time.

If I sold my 45 II, I'd buy one of these old gals - want to trade?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Is that an anchor stowed next to the hull, with a hawsepipe? I don't think I've ever seen that on a MY this size. Interesting.
    You are correct. That is an anchor. The original owner, Willis DuPont, had it installed. It's an Anchormatic navy style anchor with a little over 100 ft of chain. It also has a chain counter. It still works well.

Quote Originally Posted by st.tully View Post
    I love the 50/53 MY without a bridge - CLASSIC looking big time.

If I sold my 45 II, I'd buy one of these old gals - want to trade?
    We love this old classic too, but alas, she has become more boat than we want. We would consider a small trawler in trade.

Good luck on this. She's a lovely boat AND very original, and no bridge either, which makes them look better, IMHO. I know the bridge is useful and all but if I had one, I'd want just the pilothouse station and that's it.

I think a lot of older Hatts had the light-colored woodwork. I'm sure it's aged a bit, but maybe that's part of the charm of a boat that still looks like it did when it was first made.

Oh, and FWIW, I have hull cores from Blue Note that are nearly as thick. No one builds hulls like that anymore. I saved them for exactly the same reason- to show how well the hull is made, and how sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    In 1965 you could specify a particular wood finish from Hatteras. Ours was built in December of 1965. We have brown ribbon mahogany in the galley and saloon which I see in Lorelei. Afromosia came much later. From the engine room corridor aft we had a white pickled oak finish to make it brighter below. After about 25 years this finish yellowed. Rather than restore it I had it sanded, filled and painted Awlgrip Hatteras white. For some owners this is heresy. I figure it is pretty close to the way it came from the factory but even easier to maintain. About five years ago I gave this area two more coats. Looks like new and I don't need to keep the lights on during the day.

When you ordered a new Hatteras the factory had four to six fold out portfolios about three feet long and two feet high. These had the various factory finishes for carpet, lineoleum, curtains and fabrics and included swatches for everything. You could pick. I have refinished all my interior wood over the years.

Maybe you should have a look. Lorelei does not look like she has had much modernization. Everything looks original. That white muffin-looking thing in someone's hand toward the end of the photos is a core cut through the hull for a fitting. You won't ever see a fiberglass boat overbuilt like this again. They are solid boats. We have had ours 45 years now and have not found a significant structural fault. I have done things such as replacing the electrical panel with a larger and more modern one, but you don't have to do this at once as long as the panel is not running too hot. Her 18 kt. top speed is probably long gone, but so are the days of eleven cent diesel. Those engines will last forever at slower speeds.

You can call me if you decide to buy her. Whatever she needs seems to be reflected in her low price. They are wonderfully comfortable boats.
    I'll try to respond to your post regarding the Lorelei IV.

The wood is pretty much as you described. The color brochure on this site has a few pictures showing the original look.

The Lorelei has not had many changes made and is close to original. The one major change I made was to extend the roof over the aft deck and add a gate to the aft rail and a ladder to the swim platform. I also added a davit and a Boston Whaler.

Other upgrades since my purchase in 1992 include engine rebuild, 2 generators, heads, electronics, additional windlass and anchor, 2 inverters and batteries, battery charger, refrigerator, dual Racor fuel filters, holding tanks and Lectrasan, etc. Basically, I set her up for cruising and anchoring. We lived aboard for 13+ years.

In 2007, we spent 3 months in the Abacos - only 2 nights in a marina and the rest of the time on a mooring cell or at anchor.

That "muffin looking thing" was/is the cutout for the Navy anchor on the portside of the bow.

The Lorelei's electric panel is original. It has breakers for both the 120/220 AC system and the 12 volt DC system. Yes, it's a 12 volt boat. I have spare breakers of every size - never had to use one.

The low price is more of a reflection of our desire to sell rather than her needs. We find that we want to downsize to a smaller boat. If one wishes to cruise and live aboard, she is ready. If cosmetics are what one desires, you may wish to paint the topsides.

Her last major cruise (1,200 miles from Ft. Myers, FL, across the Gulf, up the Tennessee-TomBigbee Waterway to the Tennessee River and KY Lake, and on to Green Trutle Bay Marina in Grand Rivers, KY on Lake Barkley) was uneventful. If we wanted to make another cruise in the future, we wouldn't hesitate. She is and always has been kept 'at the ready', and has been dependable.

Thank you for your comments. Hope these remarks have been helpful.

Bill

"Other upgrades since my purchase in 1992 include engine rebuild, 2 generators, heads, electronics, additional windlass and anchor, 2 inverters and batteries, battery charger, refrigerator, dual Racor fuel filters, holding tanks and Lectrasan, etc. Basically, I set her up for cruising and anchoring. We lived aboard for 13+ years."

She looks like a nice old boat. I couldn't find here or on yachtworld what the engine hours are. Do they smoke or spit fuel on a cold start up?

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    "Other upgrades since my purchase in 1992 include engine rebuild, 2 generators, heads, electronics, additional windlass and anchor, 2 inverters and batteries, battery charger, refrigerator, dual Racor fuel filters, holding tanks and Lectrasan, etc. Basically, I set her up for cruising and anchoring. We lived aboard for 13+ years."

She looks like a nice old boat. I couldn't find here or on yachtworld what the engine hours are. Do they smoke or spit fuel on a cold start up?
    There are approximately 4200 hours on the Lorelei. Since she is currently berthed in Kentucky and I'm in Florida, I can't be exact about the hours. There is a log onboard that has been maintained since 1965. It has entries indicating hours run, fuel added , oil added, RPM's run etc.. Also indicated are rebuild hours.

The engines do smoke some at start up and may spit a little fuel. They clear up pretty rapidly. It is not uncommon for 2 cycle Detroit Diesels to to do this. Maybe other members can comment on this topic.

Hope this has been helpful. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by libbill View Post
    We have just listed the Lorelei IV for sale at $89,000.

Boat is located on Barkley Lake in Kentucky. Listed with Green Turtle Bay.

For information contact me at lorelei.iv@gmail.com .
    We had a "vessel Purchase and Sale Agreement" on the Lorelei IV. The purchaser had to cancel the contract because they could not obtain insurance that included a "Waiver of Depreciation" . This was deemed necessary by the purchaser to meet the condition of satisfactory insurance under the sales agreement.

Has anyone had this come up in a boat sale? Is there anyone offering this type of insurance?

Libbill