Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: head trouble

head trouble

Just purchased 71 43dblcabin, we are green to say the least and probably got in way over our heads. (no pun intended) We are trying to get the forward head working it has a raritan crown centrifugal head which we are working on getting parts for and there has been a lectrasan installed at some point, called raritan they tell me this model is outdated and just needs to be replaced. Is there anyway to fix the lectrasan unit? We are salt water. What ever there was for a holding tank seems to have been disabled if we are looking a the schematics correctly and noway to pump it out if we were able to use it. Looking for any feed back or options.

Re: head trouble

Congradulations, I have a 72 43dcmy. My forward holding tank in mounted under the gally floor with access under the floor in the forward stateroom. Its installed but never plumbed from the factory. Same as the aft tank. No fittings topside. Cant tell you how to fix the bowl but mine came with atlantis freedom toilets and they have worked flawlessly.

Art
    Trouble
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

LectraSans are rebuildable. The only wear parts are the o-ring seals on the tops of the two motor shafts. It works like two Waring blenders to liquify the waste while treating it with hypochlorous acid it makes by passing current through sea water (NaCl + H2O). Must have sea water. Do the shafts on the motors spin? The unit could just be full, in which case it is designed to clog so as to not discharge untreated sewage.

You will need to be sure you are not in a designated no-discharge zone where even the LectraSan is forbidden. This despite the fact that they treat and disinfect sewage better than many municipal sewer plants. Only holding tanks there.

You can bypass the LectraSan by disconnecting the toilet output and putting it in a bucket to see where the problem is. A pile of paper towel in the bucket will help with splashback.

Welcome to the joys of boating!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Thank you very much for the information. We are waiting on the head parts but will be testing it. Are there kits for the lectrasan units, or just have to piece it out best we can?