Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Onan exhaust elbow

The exhaust elbow and connecting nipple on my 1981 Onan 7.5kw generator cracked allowing exhaust gas and cooling sea water to be pumped into the engine room. Fortunately shut the generator down before any significant damage occurred, but could have been a serious problem. Just wanted to alert ohers with similar generators to check their elbows. Replacement parts are still available and not too expensive.

Re: Onan exhaust elbow

Quote Originally Posted by delta View Post
    The exhaust elbow and connecting nipple on my 1981 Onan 7.5kw generator cracked allowing exhaust gas and cooling sea water to be pumped into the engine room. Fortunately shut the generator down before any significant damage occurred, but could have been a serious problem. Just wanted to alert ohers with similar generators to check their elbows. Replacement parts are still available and not too expensive.
    I had the same problem a long time ago. With the sound shield on, the salt water was pulled thru the electrical end of the generator and shorted out the windings. I got rid of the soundshields better to keep an eye on whats going on.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

ONAN actually had a recall on that nipple about 15 years ago. Mine was bad so I changed it out to a schedule 80 black nipple. So now here it is 15 years later and it started leaking again! Its before the water hose tho and only spews hot fumes into the ER... its on the honey WILL list! Seems that fitting is always used as a step for climbing out. ws

close nipple shown to te left
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

last time I had that issue, I used a bronze bull head tee and continuous thread bronze nipple to pick up the sea water discharge, worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by delta View Post
    That just happened to ours too! Same model.

6. Re: Onan exhaust elbow

An alternative is a heavy duty stainless steel pipe elbow from a plumbing supply house....
    say a 2" x 2" x 1/2" where the 1/2" is used to insert raw water....Did that many years
    ago on an earlier boat and it worked like a charm.

On my Hatt I also replaced the exhaust elbow with a standard ONAN exhaust elbow...
    that also worked just fine.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

A bad elbow was the first thing I noticed on my 82 15kw, took the whole genset out on thursday, was not fun. The sound shield was tossed in the trash because it made maintenance/monitoing impossible, when I said it was not fun, I really mean it. 2 55 gallon drums in the salon with an A frame steel structure on top, some 4x4 wood beams here & there only 2 chain falls on hand grease, shit & oil everywhere.... but it's out and I will either rebuild or replace it.

I am finding the engine room on the 46c to be a very uncomfortable place to work in and hate having that hatch open... I don't want to fall in and have had a few close calls... Pleasure boating my ass...

Have a nice long weekend!
    Geo.

Quote Originally Posted by geofish View Post
    A bad elbow was the first thing I noticed on my 82 15kw, took the whole genset out on thursday, was not fun. The sound shield was tossed in the trash because it made maintenance/monitoing impossible, when I said it was not fun, I really mean it. 2 55 gallon drums in the salon with an A frame steel structure on top, some 4x4 wood beams here & there only 2 chain falls on hand grease, shit & oil everywhere.... but it's out and I will either rebuild or replace it.

I am finding the engine room on the 46c to be a very uncomfortable place to work in and hate having that hatch open... I don't want to fall in and have had a few close calls... Pleasure boating my ass...

Have a nice long weekend!
    Geo.
    Thats the only drawback to the 46. Hands and knees to get around in the ER. If I went to the trouble to pull one of mine out Id probably stick a new one in. Parts for the old OHNO'sare hard to come by.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present