Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

60' Hatteras ACMY With Cockpit Extension in Marina del Rey, CA

Wondering if anyone is familiar with this Hatteras on Yacht World: YW# 55110-1976279

I've tried to search here on the forum for information about extended hulls without much luck. Even using Google some of the archived thread links seem to be unavailable.

One thing I'm curious about is how an extension such as this would affect handling in a river current. I'm going to relocate to the Delta area of California if the sale of my business goes through. I think a 53' would be the smallest I would want to live on even part time but the cockpit would be nice to have.

I'm also wondering about just how such a hull extension such as this one should be attached and secured to the hull as well as if this extension is done properly. The fuel capacity is greater than normal for a 53 Motoryacht. The listing also has an interesting statement:

"Please note that this price is the lowest the seller will take. We will not present lower offers, and there will be no allowance made for survey deficiencies - of which there will be many!"

Do hull extensions in general reduce the value of a boat? Or might this one in particular have too many deficiencies as the above quote may imply?

Thom

Re: 60' Hatteras ACMY With Cockpit Extension in Marina del Rey, CA

This boat may be priced fairly. Photos look good. If it doesn't sell in the next few months, however, we will know that it was not the correct price. Many survey issues = big trouble. I wouldn't try to sell a boat this way, but maybe I'm wrong. The great thing about free markets--a willing buyer and a willing seller getting into agreement--is that we should know shortly. There was a great case in Contracts in law school. A lady was asked if she would exchange some of her XXX-rated favors with a man, apparently not a gentleman. Affronted, she sued. The judge held "There's no harm in asking." as he denied her claim. Same here.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 08-27-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Alas, I didn't answer your question. A hull extension can add or detract from value, depending on how it was constructed. It won't be as good as a 60 footer built by Hatteras and designed by Jack Hargrave. The alignment of engines and shafts would likely be different, as would the balance of the whole boat. The rudder location, for example, has probably not been moved all the way aft to the new stern, as this would be very expensive. But then the rudders may have been moved-- who knows? There are a number of boats which have had extensions. I looked into it for my boat, but did not do it. It would be unusual for the extension to have a continuation of the keel, which might affect handling in a current. So it could well be OK, even if not perfect.

I think I would want to have a good surveyor have a look at it, and also a marine architect. This is a big design change, and not one done by a reputable company such as Hatteras that you can fall back on in case of a problem. So Caveat Emptor as they say (Let the buyer beware!).
    Last edited by Fanfare; 08-26-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    A lady was asked if she would exchange some of her XXX-rated favors for a large sum of money. Affronted, she sued. The judge held "There's no harm in asking." as he denied her claim. Same here.
    That's very funny! Thanks for the reply. I needed a good laugh today. I wouldn't try to sell a boat that way either. But I think that since the listing states that there will be many deficiencies that they might mention them, or at least some of them, in the listing. It's not like they didn't bring the subject up. I Thought that possibly someone here on the forum might know about this boat, so I asked. Nice to be able to do that. Good suggestion about the marine architect.

Thom