Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Wallpaper over original paneling. Help!

The PO of my extended 61' Hatt did a whole lot of wallpapering instead of painting. Due to the extra humidity in the Texas coast (I leave the a/c off in all but the Master Unit) the wallpaper is beginning to peel off. I have tried to re-glue and tried trim spray adhesive but nothing is sticking back. I believe there is too much moisture in the paper itself for the glues to work. I am thinking about painting a room at a time (wife does not like the darker stained paneling). Does anybody know whether I can prime over the old surface once the paper is removed or do I need to remove the glue residue as well. Planned on turning on the a/c for each area that I am going to paint for comfort and humidity control while prepping and painting. Any ideas would be great.
    thanks

Re: Wallpaper over original paneling. Help!

For a smooth painted finish, the glue has to be sanded down or sanded off. Then prime, then sand again before finish paint. It may take several prime and finish coats to make a nice job. Use oil based products ONLY. This will be a labor intensive project to do it correctly.

You may want to consider new wallpaper instead of painting. Wallpaper withstands humidity if it is installed properly (think above the tub/shower stall in your bathroom at home). Get a professional, or at least get professional advice. Trying to re-glue old tired wallpaper does not generally yield acceptable results.

Wallpaper can typically be removed and the teak renewed at a later date if desired. Once the teak is painted, its done forever.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

People who cover the beauty of the natural wood should be keel hauled. Its a boat not a condo. Just my opinion.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

If salvageable and you dont want to repaper but avoid it all peeling off from mositure, do what weve done. got two Big dehumidifiers, one in the salon and one below, and run them 24/7 while youre away. When cruising, we unplug and put in a closet. (btw, we ran plastic hoses to drain them into overboard system..) They work perfectly. No damp smell anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    People who cover the beauty of the natural wood should be keel hauled. Its a boat not a condo. Just my opinion.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Wink Re: Wallpaper over original paneling. Help!

I have found that the wallpaper is peeling while it is open for ventilation. I leave the moisture control in the AC system on when we are gone which is only 4-5 days. As far as leaving the original stained paneling whatever makes the wife like living on our boat is what I like so the possibility of keel hauling my wife is pretty remote I am going to look into dehumidifiers as I understand that moisture in the winter is also a problem. Thanks for the responses!

Please talk to WaltP on hopw to remove wallpaper

noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

If you think you will ever want to sell your boat, you should consider protecting the natural wood veneer under the paneling before you paint or paper. Areas that have that were originally natural wood paneling covered now with paint or wallpaper cause suspicion that it was done to cover bad water damage. You can easily protect the wood finish by applying a couple coats of clear sealer after you have cleaned off the glue. Try to avoid sanding off the glue, if possible. I have found that Awesome Cleaner (from Dollar General) removes most wallpaper and liquifies the glue for easy removal with a scrubby and water. Lightly sand the wood finish, then apply two coats of sealer. Sand the sealer, and the wall is ready to be sized and paper hung.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY