Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

58 YF versus 58 CMY

Greetings All -

I'm looking for my first Hatteras and have pretty much narrowed the search to a 58 Yachtfish. However, in searching around I see there was a 58 Cockpit Motoryacht. What was the difference between these models?

Also I found a 53 that had a cockpit added by Hatteras of Lauderdale. I was wondering if this was a one off conversion or something regularly offered by H of L.

Many thanks.

George
    North Carolina

Re: 58 YF versus 58 CMY

A 58YF is a 53MY with a cockpit, where a 58CMY is basically a 53 extended deckhouse with a cockpit. The difference is that a CMY has a full width salon with no walk around.

The addition of a cockpit to a standard 53MY is quite common. I would guess that Hatt of Lauderdale has done several of these and I would be more confident in their work than some of the lessor known yards.

Thank you for the info. In searching online I am learning some of the evolution of the 53 and the 58. It appears that in 1980 the 58 YF got a flybridge redesign and extra fuel capacity. Does anyone have other points of interest on the 58 evolution?

Since th 53My and the 58Yf are sisters, you can learn about the changes by also looking at the 53's. For instance, the earlier models had only one shower, shared between the two aft heads. Later models have a separate shower stall in each of the three heads.

OK, having been on both boats, my likes about the 58 yachtfish are the complete walkaround, hence better fishability and the open rear salon. Dislike access to flybridge and single forward facing seat at the helm.

My likes about the 58 cockpit motoryacht is the larger salon, better access to the flybridge, twin forward facing seats at the flybridge helm, separate pilothouse. Dislike lack of walkaround, hence poorer fishability and dockability.

Eastcoast climate conditions would seem to favor the cockpit motoryacht in the northeast, yachtfish in the southeast IMO. Anyone care to offer their opinions? Anyone fish and dive off a cockpit motoryacht?

Then add in the 58/60 enclosed bridge, that would seem to favor the rainy northwest, or serious bluewater fisherman who likes to overnight far offshore. Almost, but not quite as much practicality as a liveaboard compared to the other two.

So given the drop in prices, it is interesting to compare the all around functionality of the three boats as liveaboards seasonally going up and down the east coast. The 58 LRC is not considered due to it's price premium. All opinions welcome.
    Last edited by hyperfishing; 07-24-2007 at 06:40 PM.

I have a 1978 Yachtfish and my wife and I love it. I don't know about the CMY but all the significant improvements to the YF were made by the 1979 model. My 1978 has vented louvers over the engine air intake which gives it a dated look. All other improvements are on the boat.

My helm is behind a bench seat on the flybridge. My wife likes it because she has good visibilty to see where we are going plus when we have guests on the boat they are in front of the captain and are more "into" what's going on.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

I assume you installed the bench seat, or was that a standard layout option in the later years, basically like the flybridge seating on a true sportsfish? That would be great, but that kind of set up is not in the brochure archives here, and I have never seen such an arrangement. Any pics?
    Last edited by hyperfishing; 07-26-2007 at 07:24 PM.

This is a very useful thread, I have been wondering about this very issue too. W

When Hatteras built the 58 YF did they move the rudders and screws from the 53 hull position or is the cockpit just a factory add-on and the "conversions" are the same boat?

What effect does all that bouyancy in the stern have on handling at speed and in rough weather. Is the boat nose heavy and need ballast fuel tanks.

Where are the rudder and screws on the CPMY's? Does the smaller cockpit have any effect on seaworthyness and performance. A cockpit is a near necessity for a cruising boat for tender access alone, But we don't need one big enough for a fighting chair.

On the bigger hulls which have the best seakeeping, performance, cruisability?

You may want to join the Hatteras 1510 Club and attend their rendezvous in Portsmouth, VA the Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday after Labor Day. You will learn more about these boats in a short time than you can here on the forums. The owners are extremely open and sharing of information about their boats. Plus you can spend time crawling around them and being shown things to look for. I have found the 1510 Club to be much more benefical to me than even this forum which I absolutely love. http://www.hatteras1510club.com/
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

I was hoping to go to VA but other plans prevent that. I am summering in Az (don't ask) so it is a long way for me now. I probably should join the club now that I am interested enough to have technical questions like this.