Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

53C "Different Drummer" in Houma, LA

Anyone have any first-hand information on this 53 Convertible currently being advertised? Thanks.

Re: 53C "Different Drummer" in Houma, LA

Nice looking interior and a clean engine room, but no info about the engines. It looks like the engines are 12v71-TI's, so you could be spending $70K - $80K on good rebuilds ($3K/hole) or even more on a repower (> $100K). Otherwise its a nice boat. NADA @ $94.3K to $105K, so at $114K I would want 1,000 to 1,500 hours on the engines so I get a couple 100 more hours.

There's another 1980 53C in Mystic, CT for $110K with a similar configuration and good condition, but no engine info. NADA @ $100.5K to $112K, so it's worth a little more but plan to have over $200K in it.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can probably bring the engine rebuild costs down a good bit and you'll know every thing about those motors but it's a lot of work and it will take a lot longer than you expected. On the bright side, you get to know everyone in the boatyard, machine shop and diesel parts supplier. I love the 53C's, so I'll be watching this thread. Have Fun.

Thanks, Hat-Man.
    There are enough internet references to suggest that "Different Drummer" was, at least for some time, operating as a charter boat. That would jack up some hours, but it also means that she was run regularly and, hopefully, maintained.
    Despite my fondness for the old mahogany interiors, I have to admit that I like the lighter, more modern finish on this one. And, that's the first four-bunk forward cabin that I've seen. I'll bet the original interior was pickled, though, and probably looking a little shabby up close about now.
    All that aside, if those are TI's, I'd probably pass. We're going to cruise the islands for a year, and I'm looking for N's.
    As far as NADA goes, do you think that still applies? I'm astounded at how much some of these older boats have been discounted, and how long they've been on the market.
    Stay in touch. I appreciate the expertise.

1978 with 12/ti's almost every 80 I've seen has had 8/92's with galley down.
    If the ti's are 650hp they should be ok. Its the jacked up 700-900hp that blow up. you wont find many past '76 with n's if any. Sure you could dump a lot of$$$ in one of these old boats if you throw someone the keys and say "fix it" But if you are smart and know how to shop stuff out and are willing to invest sweat time you can great boat for your $$$.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...tible-77321339
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I kinda like the galley by the back window. makes for a good place to watch the baits while your fixing a sandwich. But it looks like the door blocks the galley when its open.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Do you ever wonder if this preoccupation with older boats, restoring them, maintaining them, admiring them, all the time justifying to ourselves, our spouses, and all those around us who haven't yet tired of listening that the classics really are built better, stronger, more timeless, much like a well-cut navy blazer that never quite goes out of style, might just be a reflection of a true psychosis that, left unfed, could lead to prolonged institutionalization, electroshock therapy, and uncontrolled drooling on our bibs, or merely a habit acquired out of necessity from "champagne tastes and a beer budget"?
    My wife and kids want to know why daddy, just for once, can't buy something that's "ready to go".
    I just want to know if I can reconfigure the galley to keep it in that aft corner, allow the salon door to open fully, double the work surfaces, and add a settee and table that will seat six.
    And that radio box over the flybridge console needs some help, also.
    I have a disease. I admit it.

(Thanks for the comments on the engines. I wasn't aware that the N's were phased out on the later 53's. Will save me some time looking.)

nickle, you might look at possibly hinging the door to open the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by NickelDance View Post
    Do you ever wonder if this preoccupation with older boats, restoring them, maintaining them, admiring them, all the time justifying to ourselves, our spouses, and all those around us who haven't yet tired of listening that the classics really are built better, stronger, more timeless, much like a well-cut navy blazer that never quite goes out of style, might just be a reflection of a true psychosis that, left unfed, could lead to prolonged institutionalization, electroshock therapy, and uncontrolled drooling on our bibs, or merely a habit acquired out of necessity from "champagne tastes and a beer budget"?
    My wife and kids want to know why daddy, just for once, can't buy something that's "ready to go".
    I just want to know if I can reconfigure the galley to keep it in that aft corner, allow the salon door to open fully, double the work surfaces, and add a settee and table that will seat six.
    And that radio box over the flybridge console needs some help, also.
    I have a disease. I admit it.

(Thanks for the comments on the engines. I wasn't aware that the N's were phased out on the later 53's. Will save me some time looking.)

You do realize that there is no cure for this ailment?
    Jack Sardina

WHAT ailment? When I think I'm sick, I'll tell you.

Thanks for the thought on the door. Possible.

Re: our disease, only one cure.
    "Dad, how many boats do you really need?"
    "Just one more, honey. Just one more."

On a more serious note, what model do you guys think is the best choice today, under $200k, for a convertible Hatteras with three cabins and galley up? 50, 53, 52...? Vintage? Engines?
    Last edited by NickelDance; 06-17-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Punctuation