Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel consumption of twin 3208 Caterpillar engines

Hello everyone... I am planning on purchasing a 36 ft series II convertible Hatteras from 1985 and it has twin 3208 Caterpillar engines and I'm wondering what is their fuel consumption.

Are they good for trawling??? for fishing?? lets say 7 knots??

Help is appreciated

Alex

2. Re: Fuel consumption of twin 3208 Caterpillar engines

I had a 46 Jefferson w/ 3208s - loved the 3208s; would expect that you'd be very happy with them at a slow cruise. You didn't say what HP they were, but assuming that they are in the mid range and that your boat was similiar in weight to mine, a hull speed cruise would be 2-3 mpg.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: Fuel consumption of twin 3208 Caterpillar engines

Did you get my E-mail response to your questions about the late model 36' convertable?
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

4. Re: Fuel consumption of twin 3208 Caterpillar engines

Naturals or turbos??

If you search the forums here, I think you'll find some skeptical posts about the longevity of the 375 HP turbo model....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    Naturals or turbos??

If you search the forums here, I think you'll find some skeptical posts about the longevity of the 375 HP turbo model....

You mean because they only last 5,000 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    You mean because they only last 5,000 hours?

No Because the yellow paint is so expensive. Come one Dave no one here would trash a motor they have no actual experience with.

Oh yeah I forgot they don't make them anymore either so they must be ..........

Most of the people I know that have them have operator induced issues if they have any.

Now when I owned my 1845 53 foot carbon fiber sailing hydroplane we had these special motors that no one here would be able to understand but they were better than your favorites because I know better.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

One of our forum members (ex-Hatteras owner) has a 42 Duffy he uses for dive charters in Hatteras and it has a pair of 375hp 3208s. I think they have been fine on reliability. My guess is that he is burning about 1.25 gals/nm at cruise, about 17 knots or a little better. But this is a heavier boat than a 36 series II Hatteras, and he frequently has a full load of six divers and their tanks etc. If he sees this, he might shed some light on your question.

Lots of experience with 3208 Cats. Three different boats. 45 Californian, 53 Defever POC, and now 40 Hatt MY. Some DD along the way with a 46 Bertram and 43 Hatt. As opposed to most, greatly prefer the Cats. My current Cats (3208 turbocharged - 375 HP) are great. With fuel prices, I slowed down a few years ago. Currently @ 1100 rpm my fuel consumption is 5.5 gal/hr at 9.7 mph, clean bottom. This power setting was also the same for the other boats as well. Fuel (tankered 1100 gal with the Defever) could make a difference with the speed, but not the fuel consumption. 2200 rpm power usually ran about 22-23 gal/hr. This was the lowest rpm setting to keep on plain. good luck.

Thank you all very much for the help.

10. Re: Fuel consumption of twin 3208 Caterpillar engines

I have no personal knowledge of cat turbo engine....just great reports from natural owners.

I could not find the thread where 375HP were previously discussed...I think it might have been several years ago.....

but this might be of interest to theboatman regardings parts sources:

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ht=caterpillar
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.