Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Newbie Question-Fuel consumption on 20kW Kohler genset?

Hi All,

I have recently imported a 63' Hatteras MY into Australia. We love "Sarettah" and very pleased with our purchase, which progressed without any major issues.

My question as a newbie owner is about fuel consumption of our Kohler 20KW genset. This unit is fed from the aft tank and I have been running the genset quite often because we have not completed the transformer change-over so we can connect up to Aust 240v shore power. I have probably run the genset about 50 hrs since re-fill.

Anyway, on arrival in AUS I fuelled up both tanks and have done 16 to 18hrs cruising since re-fuel. I recently was very surprised when I re-fuelled for the second time and the aft tank took 3 times as much fuel as the foward tank (1500 litres vs 500 litres)!!

Surely the Kohler would not burn that amount of diesel?

The engines are twin 12v71s, each one supplied and returned to separate tanks.

Before transporting to AUS, we relocated her from Baltimore to Florida and she burned about the same amount from each tank during that 1200 mile trip. (avg approx 18-20 gal/hr total)

Anyone have an idea on the reason why there was such a discrepency?
    I know the members on this forum have so much collective experience there is an answer out there.

Thanks

2. Re: Newbie Question-Fuel consumption on 20kW Kohler genset?

Depending on the load, likely your generator burns about a gallon to a gallon and a half per hour.

Reasons for unequal fuel tank fill: return lines going to the same tank, different hours of use of port and stbd main engine, unequal initial fill (sometimes a rapid fill will spill fuel and APPEAR full when a tank is not full, different size fuel tanks.....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Newbie Question-Fuel consumption on 20kW Kohler genset?

My Kohler burns approx 1.5 gph when loaded up.....

Hey, Aussie, my niece and family just arrived here in Vancouver from Sydney....

Our Kohler 20EOZD has the following specs:

100% Load 1.49 gph
    75% Load 1.24 gph
    50% Load 0.83 gph
    25% Load 0.57 gph

Hey Mike, I'm pleased to learn that "Sarettah" has made it home to Australia. I'm also happy to learn that you're pleased with the purchase. She's a great boat. Enjoy!

Here's a photo of Sarettah that I shot the day of the survey haul out.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SeaEric; 07-06-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Hi All and thanks for the answers. The knowledge on this site is outstanding.

Hey Eric, "Gidday from Down Under !"
    "Sarettah" is going great! She has had lots of face-lifts like new bimini and clears around flybridge, new holy and teak saloon floors, new headhunter toilet system...
    She is a real head turner down here in Sydney, we cant wait for the summer!

Mike

7. Re: Newbie Question-Fuel consumption on 20kW Kohler genset?

"headhunter toilet system" ????????

Don't know what that is, but I don't like the sound of it!!

Couldn't somebody find a less menacing brand name??
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.