Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: lube oil for two cycle D.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    I was led to believe that DD had to have the oils originally developed for their 2 strokes and that it had to meet what was called a "delo" grade standard, I have no idea why it is only 40 W that is normally acceptable , one reason may be the ability to really work the engines hard over long periods of time, modern technology in oil production may have negated the need for the strict use of 40 W but I take no chances with my 4 DD's, plus I use the 40 w everywhere, gens and tran's.
    Our local DD dealer will only use 40 w if they service any 2 stroke DD.
    I thought it had been quoted here in the HOF that DD requires/ has required straight 40W due to high pressures in the valve train. As a completely separate issue, they require low ash due to ash build up on the exhaust system ports. All I know...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

So...what really makes 2stroke DD's so special regarding oil?

Why not get on the modern band wagon and use a diesel synthetic? I've seen the wonders of synthetics in my cars...I have an old tercel that was so gritty and grimy/varnished under the valve cover it looked like it wouldn't run. 1000 miles on mobile 1 and it was cleaned up.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Higher detergent properties may have other effects on the oils performance. Clean is nice but running is better.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You need the build up in a Detroit to stop the leaks
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Mike... I love it!!!
    I do believe you've stumped the panel!!
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL