I know there has been some concern among owners of 2 stroke detroits as to what will be available to use as lube oil with the industry rating of CF-2 being retired, so I thought I'd share what I found today. Having been caught up in the scare also I bought 30 gallons of delo 100 awhile back but now that its gone I went to N. E.Detroit Diesel/MTU and asked for oil for two cycles. They gave me 40W WITHOUT any classification symbols/starburst (whatever the symbol is called where the classification rating is found), however, instead of the symbol, it states all over the packaging and container labeling 'heavy-duty diesel engine oil for detroit diesel 2-cycle' also on packaging and label, without any symbol, it simply states 'api service CF'. Again, in product literature from MTU titled 'Detroit Diesel 2-cycle, Full support every step of the way', it states 'Powerguard sae 40 2-cycle engine oil. Features a low ash formula that adheres to the api CF-2 level of approval for on- and off-highway uses' oddly enough, on the 5 gallon pail it states 'api service CF/CF-2' but,on the single gallon it only states 'api service CF'. They are also still made by Mobil/Delvac. The cost was $17. Per gallon. So it looks like the proven oils are still available, just without the service classification we've come to look for. Just my $.02. Happy Fourth of July!
Russell