Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Robertson circling

Have an old Robertson AP200DL auto pilot on my 38 Hatt that wants to keep going in circles. When set the rudder continues to steer in only one direction even when in automatic mode . Any ideas why? Can use all the help you have to offer.

Re: Robertson circling

Did you re calibrate the compass for it? That may be the problem.

Go thorough the setups and see if anything changes.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Didn't try that yet but will tomorrow. Thanks for quick reply. It is appreciated. I'll let you know the outcome !

4. Re: Robertson circling

A simple autopilot compass check: with the unit in standby, does the control head (helm display) read out your manual compass heading?? As you swing and change direction of the boat heading your autopilot compass reading should also change...and you can get a quick approximation if it matches your manual compass heading.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

How about the rudder angle sensor? What does the rudder angle indicator on the helm show?

Quote Originally Posted by Nonchalant1 View Post
    How about the rudder angle sensor? What does the rudder angle indicator on the helm show?
    Best answer so far start with the easy things. Make sure the rudder angle sensor, is working, youcan probably check it in the standy mode. Can you turn the rudder the other way in the dodge mode? If the rudder goes to a hard stop immediately when the unit is turned on, I would suspect a defective component in the drive circuit. Both are easy checks to do right at the dock.

Have had life come in the way of accomplishment. Will let you know when I am able to try any of your suggestions. I do appreciate your help.

I don't know the model of your unit. But the problem you picture in the old compass units is a bad light bulb. I don't know what unit you have If it uses a light bulb in the compass and it right turns only check the bulb in the compass.
    Maybe you will get lucky.

BILL