Quote Originally Posted by llldks View Post
My nav equipment runs off of 12V batteries which are only charged by shorepower/charger or the gen set. While underway, would like to run without the genset but with nav equipment so was thinking of adding a 32v to 12v converter. The purpose would be to keep the batteries from running down.

Defender Marine offers a 24v to 12v, 20 Amp converter which will accept a 38v input. Ray marine says my total amp draw would be 30amps with everything on, but I could reduce this by not running both stations. Any opinions on this set-up? Also, is there a problem when the battery charger is on ? ( Have talked with Neumar about a 32v to 12v converter but looking for options).

Larry
Seadation
1972 53MY
When I bought my 53conv in the US, I added GREAT Garmin electronics.
Problem was same as yours, but no one told me. Result was that after I took delivery in Newcastle, Australia and started the long trip home, the voltage started to drop everytime I used the auto pilot and then knocked out the Garmins. Not fun when you are out far! Only shore power was charging the batteries (12V) the guys installed for the Garmins, so motored home manual all the way. As soon as I got to home port, went to an auto wrecker, bought a car alternator and with a friend (I am not much use) we installed it to the port engine to keep the charge up to the 12volt batteries for the electronics. Great result! No generator needed, no invertor, no convertor etc.
With so much power from the DD's makes sense to me to use them.