Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dipstick

Dipstick

Hi All,
    Some advice please.
    My 53 Conv has 12V71N's with a few hundred hours SMOH. They run well, although a bit smokey.
    Question: Port engine keeps popping the dipstick a few inches out of the engine after a a good run. It leaves oil splashes over the ER as you can imagine. At first I thought I had forgotten to replace the dipstick properly, but last time made sure it was properly pushed in. Oil pressure/levels at normal full etc.
    Thanks
    George

Re: Dipstick

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Hi All,
    Some advice please.
    My 53 Conv has 12V71N's with a few hundred hours SMOH. They run well, although a bit smokey.
    Question: Port engine keeps popping the dipstick a few inches out of the engine after a a good run. It leaves oil splashes over the ER as you can imagine. At first I thought I had forgotten to replace the dipstick properly, but last time made sure it was properly pushed in. Oil pressure/levels at normal full etc.
    Thanks
    George
    Check the breather tube that goes up to the intakes is clear. Pull the stick and put your finger over the tube to see if you have blow by pressurising the crank case.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Check the breather tube that goes up to the intakes is clear. Pull the stick and put your finger over the tube to see if you have blow by pressurising the crank case.

Thanks rsmith. Will try to find this by using the manual. I am not very mechanically minded!
    Can this cause a major problem?

I've never had a dipstick blow out. But I would do some investigation before I jumped to any conclusions. Do you have filters on the airbox drains and are they piped into the crankcase vent? If so and the vent is pluged that could pressurise the case. The worst case senario would be stuck or broken rings.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

I've never had a dipstick blow out. But I would do some investigation before I jumped to any conclusions. Do you have filters on the airbox drains and are they piped into the crankcase vent? If so and the vent is pluged that could pressurise the case. The worst case senario would be stuck or broken rings.

I think I best call someone who knows more than me. I don't know what I am looking for!
    I'll make some calls and try find someone I trust. The best guy for the job lives 4 hours away so wish me luck! The local MTU DD guys are VERY EXPENSIVE, I think they haven't yet realised there is a recession.
    Thanks again.

rsmith is right. I had the same problem with my 453N and a friend of mine told me to check the tube. Mine goes in an old gallong oil jug that is cut in half. I had it sticking into the diaper I had in the bottom. When I make sure it is above the diaper, no more dip stick backing out.
    captbuddy

Cool Re: Dipstick

Check the airbox drainback check valve.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by DLCameron2 View Post
    Check the airbox drainback check valve.

DC

I think the checkvalves are only on TI's he has N's. I have my vents going into milkjugs also. I was always going to pipe the drains into the breather tubes untill I Cleaned out the airboxes when I RB the engines and saw the amount of sand and mud I dug out of all the nooks and crannies of the boxes.I didnt think sending any of that thru the engines for a second time was a good idea.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

As always;
    Thanks all!
    I have spent most the day in the engine room and found what I think you are advising. I found the pipes from the crankcase (two of, one from each side of each engine) and they were fed into a large PVC canister which HAD been full of steel wool pads. I think the problem was caused by me! Surprise huh!
    I have cleaned these out after my long trip (300nm) as they had quite a lot of oil in them and cleaned some of the steel wool and replaced the balance with rags.
    So: I believe with my last few trips, where I gave the engines a full throttle burst etc. I blocked these breather pipes on the Port engine with too many rags.
    Today I again cleaned them out, replaced all the rags with steel wool and have made sure there is plenty of space for the breathers to vent.
    Let’s hope I have done no major damage, or blown gaskets or similar. There is good air venting from the pipe when I run in neutral, unfortunately cannot get out to the deep water to give it a test today. Have to wait for High Tide to get out from where she is moored.
    Thanks rsmith and all.
    Regards.
    G
    Last edited by Jasper; 06-27-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: typo

I wouldnt worry about it 12/n's are pretty bullet proof.
    I usualy bring the engines up to full throttle to get the boat on the plane quicker run them at 2300 for a minute then bring them back to 2100. IMO its easier on the engines to get the boat over the hump and cranking along.
    Last edited by rsmith; 06-27-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976