Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

32 volt converter

My nav equipment runs off of 12V batteries which are only charged by shorepower/charger or the gen set. While underway, would like to run without the genset but with nav equipment so was thinking of adding a 32v to 12v converter. The purpose would be to keep the batteries from running down.

Defender Marine offers a 24v to 12v, 20 Amp converter which will accept a 38v input. Ray marine says my total amp draw would be 30amps with everything on, but I could reduce this by not running both stations. Any opinions on this set-up? Also, is there a problem when the battery charger is on ? ( Have talked with Neumar about a 32v to 12v converter but looking for options).

Larry
    Seadation
    1972 53MY

Re: 32 volt converter

Had exactly the same issue. About 2 months ago I installed a Newmar converter that can accept up to 50V input to solve it.

A converter that can handle 38v is, IMO, cutting it a bit close because the charging voltage for the 32v system with the engines running could exceed that depending on the state of charge of the batts. However, whether a volt or two over the 38 would be a problem, I don't know. But when you do EQ charges on the batts, the charging voltage will be around 42V and that seems to me to be decidedly too much. Of course, if you were sure to turn off that converter when doing EQ, it might be OK.

But I'm more comfortable with the Newar's 50V capability.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

The OEM solution is a Newmar converter, which come in many different amperage ratings.

If your standing draw is 30 amps you could save a few bucks by buying the 35 amp model but I would buy the 50 amp unit in case you want to add anything else to it.

I have three 32-12 units in my port engine room, two 35's and a 50. Hatteras added some 6 amp versions under my dash and I just installed a 32-24 unit to power the stabilizer gyro.

The link below will take you to their site. They are good American company and in my experience, have exceptional customer service.

http://www.newmarpower.com/DC-DC_Con...ed_Series.html
    Shawn
    58 MY

When I was in there a month ago, Jarrett Bay Surplus had a used NewMar 32-12 50 amp for $250. Worth giving them a call. I bought a smaller unit for my flying bridge electronics a few years ago from them. I had added some additional 12 volt loads to the OEM unit under the helm, so wanted to split up the loads.

http://www.jarrettbay.com/marine-parts/
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by llldks View Post
    My nav equipment runs off of 12V batteries which are only charged by shorepower/charger or the gen set. While underway, would like to run without the genset but with nav equipment so was thinking of adding a 32v to 12v converter. The purpose would be to keep the batteries from running down.

Defender Marine offers a 24v to 12v, 20 Amp converter which will accept a 38v input. Ray marine says my total amp draw would be 30amps with everything on, but I could reduce this by not running both stations. Any opinions on this set-up? Also, is there a problem when the battery charger is on ? ( Have talked with Neumar about a 32v to 12v converter but looking for options).

Larry
    Seadation
    1972 53MY
    When I bought my 53conv in the US, I added GREAT Garmin electronics.
    Problem was same as yours, but no one told me. Result was that after I took delivery in Newcastle, Australia and started the long trip home, the voltage started to drop everytime I used the auto pilot and then knocked out the Garmins. Not fun when you are out far! Only shore power was charging the batteries (12V) the guys installed for the Garmins, so motored home manual all the way. As soon as I got to home port, went to an auto wrecker, bought a car alternator and with a friend (I am not much use) we installed it to the port engine to keep the charge up to the 12volt batteries for the electronics. Great result! No generator needed, no invertor, no convertor etc.
    With so much power from the DD's makes sense to me to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    When I bought my 53conv in the US, I added GREAT Garmin electronics.
    Problem was same as yours, but no one told me. Result was that after I took delivery in Newcastle, Australia and started the long trip home, the voltage started to drop everytime I used the auto pilot and then knocked out the Garmins. Not fun when you are out far! Only shore power was charging the batteries (12V) the guys installed for the Garmins, so motored home manual all the way. As soon as I got to home port, went to an auto wrecker, bought a car alternator and with a friend (I am not much use) we installed it to the port engine to keep the charge up to the 12volt batteries for the electronics. Great result! No generator needed, no invertor, no convertor etc.
    With so much power from the DD's makes sense to me to use them.

That was a big oversight of the installer. I just did a garmin system with 3 seperate 50 amp breakers for the electronics including the SSB. 3 8D batteries with a large alternator and I still warned them the SSB will run the draw beyond the alternators ability if they were to use it for long transmissions. The garmin autopilot can run up to 40 amps (12 volt) when the pump is running.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    That was a big oversight of the installer. I just did a garmin system with 3 seperate 50 amp breakers for the electronics including the SSB. 3 8D batteries with a large alternator and I still warned them the SSB will run the draw beyond the alternators ability if they were to use it for long transmissions. The garmin autopilot can run up to 40 amps (12 volt) when the pump is running.

Yeah, I was NOT happy with them as they are a good and experienced company. They did a good job on a transformer 230v to 120, so that makes up some of the "oversight" but still, very bad not to think it through when they did the work.