Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

12 volt on flybridge

Wondering how most of you get 12volt to flybridge? I seem to have lost my 12volt for the nav components, vhf etc on the bridge. Schematic shows wire 58 might be logical but I get nothing on the voltmeter. I have independant 12 volt system in port engine room with charger but thought one block was provided in the starboard engine room ? Not sure where it went, can't find it, all fuses and circuit breakers seem okay......considering running new line all the way up. ???? Any ideas ??
    Harwood Burritt aka Woody

Re: 12 volt on flybridge

I wasn't aware that the 53 ever had a 12V system as oem. So I would assume your 12v was added at some point and additional wiring installed to run directly to the nav components. Hatt used Newmar converters at both helms to supply 12v as needed at the time though there wasn't much load since many of the electronic components of the time were 32V. Our Raytheon radar, our hailer, our Loran - which were all dealer installed when our 53 was delivered - were all 32V systems.

Now, with a lot more electronics available, but little of it available in 32V, either additional converters are needed or a separate 12v system. The problem with a separate system is that unless you add a 12 alternator to the main engines, the 12v system will only be charging with the genny/shore power, not when the mains are running. I recently added another Newmar converter to power a new 12V radar rather than discharging my separate 12V system while cruising.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"