Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Wanted--Diesel Fuel Bladder(s)

Need a 200 or 250 Diesel Fuel Bladder. Used in good condition or new

Anyone have for sale or know a good link to where they are sold. I am not having much success finding bladders using google.

Thanks

Re: Wanted--Diesel Fuel Bladder(s)

Try the following company in Ramsey, NJ. Very good reputation.

http://www.atlinc.com/index.html
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

I use the 200 gal model from ATL. I need it to have the range to fish the NE canyons. One warning: be sure you strap it down properly. The straps must go over each of the 4 flat side edges. If you strap it as they show in the photo, with 2 of the 4 straps crossing one side and the other 2 crossing the other side, but no straps across the two remaining sides, it can slip out from under the straps. I almost lost mine full in 6' seas 80 miles out a couple years ago. It was a bad scene. I had to put 2 men on the bow for most of an hour and transfer fuel while I kept the bow in the wind.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Micro, good site, looking closely at ATL products.

Thanks Bob, very good advice, will certainly follow.

Just thinking out loud........

Can a 1985 45C structurally handle a 300 gallon pillow tank on the bow ? Are the bow and midship cleats a sufficient anchor point to properly secure it ? Could anyone comment specifically how they would safely tie-down the tank ? At a conservative estimate, I am at 2400 lbs for the pillow tank plus fuel, right ?

Also how do you safely and efficiently transfer the fuel ? Electric pump I suppose ? Thank you for any help.

Greg

Greg, good questions.
    I await replies from our distinguished posters.
    Another question I've been pondering is that with 2,400 lbs of added weight, what does that do to your fuel burn rate? I suppose it depnds on the boat and Diesels types you are running. With twin-C12's, I'm not sure what the extra fuel adds to the range of a 45 ft Hatteras (1987).

Any time I thought about a pillow tank, I envisioned putting it in the cockpit against the transom and securing it from the stern cleats on each side. 12V transfer pump into one fuel fill - can move fuel from tank to tank with positioning of valves for suppy/return lines on fuel manifold. Roll it up and stow when empty. Only use for us would be on trip from Key West to Yucatan which is too far for us on internal fuel. Have thought about that trip, but don't expect that to happen soon if ever. Isn't the cockpit a better place than the foredeck? I know it is in the way for while, but seems lower CG, more secure, less risk if caught in a storm, etc. Am I thinking way off?

Quote Originally Posted by solanderi View Post
    Just thinking out loud........

Can a 1985 45C structurally handle a 300 gallon pillow tank on the bow ? Are the bow and midship cleats a sufficient anchor point to properly secure it ? Could anyone comment specifically how they would safely tie-down the tank ? At a conservative estimate, I am at 2400 lbs for the pillow tank plus fuel, right ?

Also how do you safely and efficiently transfer the fuel ? Electric pump I suppose ? Thank you for any help.

Greg
    No problem with the structural question. The load is spread out. As long as you strap it properly - with a strap crossing each of the four staight sides - you're fine. I transfer fuel via gravity feed. Give the pillow a push and the fuel starts to flow. I takes about an hour for my 200 gal tank.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau