Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need assistance

Need assistance

We are looking for a late 70's to 80's for cruising and liveaboard. Plan to cruise east coast, Florida, and Bahamas. Would like 3 staterms, natural diesels. This will be our first "big" boat and we are looking for some guidence from the pros here. Price 100-150K. Need cockpit. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Lee Keller; 06-17-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Re: Need assistance

I would look for a Hatteras 53' MY. Nice layout early 70's would have the naturals. If I'm not mistaken, once you get to around 1972 / 1973 you find that the 8v71 are turbos. Hatteras are built like tanks.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Mike, Thanks for your prompt response. Looking at a 52C this weekend. May have to rethink the naturals. Like the idea of a cockpit as we like to dive. Thanks again and sure we will have more newbie questions as search continues. Hope the forum will bear with us.

I think there are some 53 CPMYs out there. Condition is more important than model. 8-71s are your best bet on engines, naturals are less stressed than turbos, but there are plenty of boats out there with turbos that are healthy and not expensive to run. Some of our forum members have 53 MYs and dive from them, but diving is a lot easier if you have a cockpit as opposed to a swim platform. A thorough and careful survey is essential- these are old boats and complex ones. But a good one will become a member of the family and take good care of you, if you take good care of her. Lots of boats out there, so don't be in a hurry.

There are three series of this Hatteras- 53 CPMY one and two, and then 52 CPMY. You ought to be able to find one that suits you. Have fun looking, they are nice boats and can do a lot of things well.

How about a 58 Yachtfish?

Diver Down has one and guess what? he's a diver. Perhaps Michael will chime in.
    Last edited by fissioneng; 06-17-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I would suggest trolling through the brochure archive on this site in the size range you are looking for.

It is a terriific resource and I have wiled away many hours there contemplating upgrades.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Yes- I have whiled away many hours contemplating the total destruction of my bank account...but you can't take your checkbook out boating.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Keller View Post
    We are looking for a late 70's to 80's for cruising and liveaboard. Plan to cruise east coast, Florida, and Bahamas. Would like 3 staterms, natural diesels. This will be our first "big" boat and we are looking for some guidence from the pros here. Price 100-150K. Need cockpit. Thanks in advance.
    Do you want a motor yacht or a sportfish? The motor yacht will offer more living space but the sportfish would be better for diving and swimming. An early 53C with naturals would be a good choice and prices are low on them right now. An older 55C with the smaller 650HP 12V71ti's would also be a good choice. Get aboard different boats and determine what models best suit your needs. What ever you choose, try to buy the best boat you can afford. Fixing these boats can be expensive. Find one that someone has cared for and/or updated.
    Jack Sardina

One of the best truisms in boating is "buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable in, not the biggest boat you can afford".

I think the biggest advantage we had when buying our Hatteras was that we had spent years chartering different boats in different places for our vacations. We knew all the many ergonomic issues that were important to us. We had always lived in big houses, so we ended up with something (for the exact same use you describe) a little on the big side, but has been great for US, for the way we use and live aboard the boat. This is a very personal decision.

If this is your first big boat in this size range, I suggest you get a copy of David Pascoe's "Mid Sized Power Boats". It discusses the issues of ergonomics and systems in detail, the things many boat buyers overlook when in the thrall of a "good looking boat".

For instance,as noted by Saltshaker age and maintenance of the systems are huge issues. An older hull with newer systems that have been updated and maintained to a high standard will ultimately cost you much less than a newer boat that is on the cusp of having them all replaced. Much cheaper to have the prior owner have done that, as long as they did a quality job with quality materials.

Even still, the boat will always have it's hand out, begging like Oliver Twist for "more". I think it was on this forum I heard the anecdote about a guy having a drink with the captain of a nice sportfish in the cockpit while at the dock. When asked about the maintenance, the captain said "Even as we sit here, things are breaking". You'll see a lot of boats on the market because the seller just can't keep up with them.

Given all that, about once a week, I reflect on how glad I am I bought a Hatteras. The existence of this forum and Sam's is a big part of that. And the manufacturer still can support you and get you the manual and drawings of your boat 30 years later. And they built it right to begin with.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014