Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RPM setting

RPM setting

There was a thread recently about RPMs and running speed but raised an additional question. I normally run at 1500-1600 on my 44TC. I think this is about hull speed and just below when the turbos kick in. It's my feeling that increasing RPMs simply plows a bigger hole in the water and uses a ton of fuel for no speed gain, until the boat is up on the step. At that point, fuel usage is still pretty heavy, perhaps double the gal/mile compared to hull speed.

Question. At what RPM does the turbo actually kick in and is running all day at 1600 harmful at all to the Detroit?

Dick

2. Re: RPM setting

What speed are you making at that RPM?

You do not want to run below where the turbos are on-boost if you are demanding significant power. Usually "hull speed" (actually not quite; a couple of knots above) is in the 1200 RPM arena - 1600 is a bit higher than I'd expect.

Re: RPM setting

The GPS indicates about 8 1/2 knots at 1600. I've run at 1200 before but it doesn't seem like the engines get to operating temp at that RPM. Can't remember the speed.