Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TV antenna question

Have a KVH4 however don't use the TV a lot when out on the hook. Don't have a sat system at home so thought I'd save the bucks to put direct tv on the boat and just use a tv antenna. Anyone in N.C. know if I can get reception from an antenna out at Cape lookout or in Beaufort? I have an antenna on the boat however I think it's fried and I am gettin no signal at all. I thought these antennas were good for 50 to 75 miles.Am I right there?
    Skip

Re: TV antenna question

I am not familiar with your cruising area but I highly recommend the Shakespeare 2030. I have installed one on each of my last three boats with excellent results. Analog, digital and HDTV signals over the air are no problem for this antenna.

GOOD LUCK!
    Byron
    "Sweet Melissa"
    Trident 78' Motoryacht
    www.SweetMelissa.info

Previously Owned Hatteras:
    1969 36C Hull #36C331
    1967 41TC Hull #41TC55
    1972 58YF Hull #58YF324

I'll second thumbs up Shakespeare 2030. I get about 20 stations with it, but I'm about 15 miles as the crow flies from NYC. Digital broadcasting is great - you either get it clear as a bell or you get nothing at all. I don't miss the ant wars one bit.

4. Re: TV antenna question

I also used the Shakespeare 2030 (omnidirectional) cruising from NY thru Maine and into Canada....worked well. Reception depends on a number of factors especially the strength of the TV station and nearby obstructions.

I bought it, set it up temprarily on my roof in case I did not like it, and found it doubled my number of TV stations relative to rabbit ears.....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

OK went and got the 2030 at lunch. The amplifier has an A/C or D/C switch with a plug for A/C power and a red and black wire for D/C power. The instructions say to connect the antenna wire to the amp then to the tv and there are 2 coax connections on the amp but the instructions show the one going to the tv as a screw on connection with 2 wires for vhf and uhf. Nothing in the inst about connecting with a coax direct from amp to the tv coax connection. I assume this is fine? Also if I'm using only A/C I assume I just tape off the D/C power wires? Again no instructions for this! GRRRR

Thats exactly how i connected mine and works great
    Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Just use the coax connectors. The screws were for the old type sets.Now a days their are only coax connectors on the TV.s.

Bill

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll get it working tomorrow night as soon as the anchor is down at Cape Lookout. Wife will be upset but that how it goes!!!!

The 2 wires are a 600 ohm antenna. The antenna is 50 ohm. The "adapter" is an impedance matching transformer.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The 2 wires are a 600 ohm antenna. The antenna is 50 ohm. The "adapter" is an impedance matching transformer.

Twin lead is 300 ohm not 600. Coax is 75 ohm and the antenna with screw on type F connector is 75 ohm along with the TV. The little 2 inch long coax to twin lead adapter is an impedance matcher to balance 75 ohm coax to 300 ohm twin lead. It is used to connect coax to the old 300 ohm TV screw type connectors.

BILL