Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Putting pulpit and windlass on Hatt without them

Somewhat bewildering to me that Hatteras shipped boats with no pulpit/windlass. I'm in Florida and for a variety of reasons we anchor a lot. I guess there must be places where people only go dock to dock.

Has anyone put a new pulpit and windlass on their Hatt that did not have one originally from the factory? This is for a 53c.

I've seen that Slane and a few others can fab the pulpit and buying a windlass looks easy enough. I'm more concerned about the install, what is below the foredeck at the bow of the boat and how much extra support may be needed.

If anyone has done this, can you share any tips/suggestions? Degree of difficulty?

If you've had it done by a yard, could you share how much labor (hours) went into the install?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Putting pulpit and windlass on Hatt without them

I cannot answer your specific questions but I will offer this opinion...

We anchor out all the time - never stay at marinas. We have a 53MY w/pulpit and an Ideal windlass. If I had a choice, I would not have a pulpit. I would just use a bow chute for the anchor.

I find the pulpit to actually create things to deal with that a bow chute alone would not:

1. If you use a bridle - we usually do - it's a bit of a pain to hook it to the chain then run one end to the starboard forward cleat and the other end to the port cleat. You have to run it under the pulpit so that the pulpit takes none of the load. It would be much easier without a pulpit.

2. When breaking loose a well set anchor, you have to again rig the bridle so you can pull on the anchor with the boat to break it loose rather than putting the strain on the pulpit/chute. THis means you rig a bridle to anchor; then you unrig it to pull in the chain as you motor over the anchor. Then you re rig the bridle so you can break the anchor loose with the boat. Then you unrig the bridle again. You can damage the pulpit/hull and/or the chute if you try to break it loose with the boat and all the strain on the pulpit. Not having the pulpit makes this whole process much easier.

The anchor that came on a 53MY is, frankly, tiny. I'd call it a lunch hook at best. So with that anchor, the oem pulpit is fine because the anchor can't really generate that much holding power and you can break it loose with the pulpit taking the load.. However, in the Chesapeake Bay and a Fortress FX55, I could pull the pulpit right off the boat trying to break the anchor loose without bypassing it with a bridle; I'd rather the pulpit wasn't there.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I really like having a pulpit and i think the reason modern builders went to rollers only is to save money

I find that unless you anchor is snagged on something all you need to do is bring the boat over the anchor and that will bring it loose without having to put much stress on it if your patient. Whether the fx55 on my boat (mud similar to the Chesie) or the Bruce 176 on the boat i run, incl in the Chesie...

After a minute or so with 1:1 scope it usually works it self loose

As to installing a pulpit, inwodnt worry much about the deck/bow beyond a good backing plate. However, you will need to properly seal the holes to protect the core
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

"I find that unless you anchor is snagged on something all you need to do is bring the boat over the anchor and that will bring it loose without having to put much stress on it if your patient. "

Perhaps the "If you are patient" part is the key. I'm not; I want the anchor up NOW!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Perfect timing, Andy. I just sent my new-to-me windlass back to Ideal for them to go through. When I get it back, I will be jumping into this project as well. I dont think I want a pulpit...but what type of roller, if any do I use? ('69 45C)

I'll certainly be following this thread closely............

Jason

Mike,
    For the FX55 I think I'd need some 24-28" of anchor chute past the bow to keep the flukes safely off the hull. (I haven't measured so that's a guesstimate) I'm sure there are chutes out there in that size, but I hadn't thought of that idea. With that much metal out front, wouldn't I effectively the same problems you mentioned? Or do you think with a chute I'd have the strength to break loose the anchor with no bridle?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I cannot answer your specific questions but I will offer this opinion...

We anchor out all the time - never stay at marinas. We have a 53MY w/pulpit and an Ideal windlass. If I had a choice, I would not have a pulpit. I would just use a bow chute for the anchor.

I find the pulpit to actually create things to deal with that a bow chute alone would not:

1. If you use a bridle - we usually do - it's a bit of a pain to hook it to the chain then run one end to the starboard forward cleat and the other end to the port cleat. You have to run it under the pulpit so that the pulpit takes none of the load. It would be much easier without a pulpit.

2. When breaking loose a well set anchor, you have to again rig the bridle so you can pull on the anchor with the boat to break it loose rather than putting the strain on the pulpit/chute. THis means you rig a bridle to anchor; then you unrig it to pull in the chain as you motor over the anchor. Then you re rig the bridle so you can break the anchor loose with the boat. Then you unrig the bridle again. You can damage the pulpit/hull and/or the chute if you try to break it loose with the boat and all the strain on the pulpit. Not having the pulpit makes this whole process much easier.

The anchor that came on a 53MY is, frankly, tiny. I'd call it a lunch hook at best. So with that anchor, the oem pulpit is fine because the anchor can't really generate that much holding power and you can break it loose with the pulpit taking the load.. However, in the Chesapeake Bay and a Fortress FX55, I could pull the pulpit right off the boat trying to break the anchor loose without bypassing it with a bridle; I'd rather the pulpit wasn't there.

Jason,
    I think the hard part will be cutting the large diameter hole for the windlass.
    A

Quote Originally Posted by J's Dream View Post
    Perfect timing, Andy. I just sent my new-to-me windlass back to Ideal for them to go through. When I get it back, I will be jumping into this project as well. I dont think I want a pulpit...but what type of roller, if any do I use? ('69 45C)

I'll certainly be following this thread closely............

Jason

" I'm sure there are chutes out there in that size, but I hadn't thought of that idea. With that much metal out front, wouldn't I effectively the same problems you mentioned?"

You are probably right. I don't think the chute would have to be as long as the pulpit chute but the same thing could happen, I guess. I'm sure Pascal is right, that the pulpit will eventually pull the anchor loose without putting much strain on the pulpit if it's directly over the anchor. But when I set the FX55 in the Ches mud, it's seriously set and when it comes up, you can only see a huge ball of mud - no anchor at all until you wash it down. It's very difficult to work it loose from directly overhead without the bridle but I admit I have never "waited patiently" for that to happen.

But with a chute only, and no pulpit, you don't have to try to reach under the pulpit to attach the bridle. It just seems to me to be a lot easier and I don't really see what a pulpit does for me anyway except provide a good place to stand with arms outstretched while underway and yell "Look at me, I'm king of the World!"
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

My 43 came without pulpit or windlass. I found that the anchor rollers on Sea Rays were very substantial and well built polished stainless units. Found one the right size and with a good hole pattern for my boat and ordered it from a local dealer and had it drop shipped to my home. Epoxied 2 lengths of 2 x 2 x 1/4 aluminum underneath and through bolted the roller assembly. Then added a Maxwel RC windlass and 220' of chain and a Delta anchor. Works better than I ever expected and looks like it came with the boat.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Not too clear picture of installation on 43DC.
    Attached Images
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH