Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Makeshift refrigerator cold plate?

Wondering if anyone knows of / uses a refrigerator 'cold plate' (no electricity or refrigerant plumbed) in their stock 120 volt fridge? Here's what I'm thinking - I would like to place some kind of material with high capacitance to transfer heat that I can leave in fridge in and freezer section of my stock fridge. The block 'o material would be cold while refrigerator running on shore power, generator, or inverter. However, when at anchor overnight, I would like to shut off generator and/or inverter. The block 'o material could take over at that point and absorb any heat coming in from fridge being off. Sailboats use this kind of system with a compressor, but I don't want to plumb in a cold plate with separate compressor into a 1976 Frigidaire fridge.

Could be as simple as leaving those plastic blocks that have blue liquid in them that freeze, but maybe something better out there.

Re: Makeshift refrigerator cold plate?

Put 10 gallons of water in there and it will not only be a thermal holding device but you can use it too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I've put bags of ice in freezer for the beer cooler out back and noticed on 2 occassions that it went into defrost mode after about 2 days of traveling as a result. A frozen pizza can sure hold allot of water when defrosted.

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    I've put bags of ice in freezer for the beer cooler out back and noticed on 2 occassions that it went into defrost mode after about 2 days of traveling as a result. A frozen pizza can sure hold allot of water when defrosted.

gallon bottles of water work better. They are denser and defrost slower plus you have them in a handy container. I have spent 15 hours on the hook in hot summer (90 plus) weather and everything was cold.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Pick up some dry ice! It'll keep it cold for days at a time

i keep bottled water (16oz?) in the freezer, the help keep the freezer cold when there is no power, or you can throw them into the ice chest, and it will make your ice last longer. when they melt, you have cold drinking water

How cold does your freezer get? Put in some gallon jugs filled with salt-water.

http://www.worsleyschool.net/science...g/ofwater.html

and through the wonders of simple middle school science you now have a large enough thermal capacitance to keep your stuff cold throughout the night without running the generator.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I'm sure I can't be the only one here who keeps a 20lb bag of "cocktail ice" in my refrigerator's cross top freezer. Keeps evrthing cold even on an overnight without the generator running and besides the drinks taste better "on the rocks".

Regards, bob K