Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Garmin XM reciever

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I had the XM receiver on my Garmin for the music and weather on my last boat (3 years ago) Now I stream Pandora for $36/yr from my smart phone. Weather is free. Way cheaper than XM.

I think before too long XM/Sirius will go the way of the buggy whip with all the Ipad/Droid app stuff thats out there for free.
    Do you get cell service offshore? I find that about 2 miles from land I am getting little if any cell service. If you were to go out fishing 30 - 50 miles I bet the music stops and the weather does too.

This is not for everyone. Seawater temps for fishing? Wave height and frequency? Surface wind speed, pressure?

If you never leave the sight of land OK it's not so useful. If you want to get the best service while offshore it's a worthwhile investment. I see these installed about 20 to 1 Sportfish to MY.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Do you get cell service offshore? I find that about 2 miles from land I am getting little if any cell service. If you were to go out fishing 30 - 50 miles I bet the music stops and the weather does too.

This is not for everyone. Seawater temps for fishing? Wave height and frequency? Surface wind speed, pressure?

If you never leave the sight of land OK it's not so useful. If you want to get the best service while offshore it's a worthwhile investment. I see these installed about 20 to 1 Sportfish to MY.
    I've never met anyone who had one and didn't think it was invaluable.
    Jack Sardina

Thats cause you hang with the right crowd.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

PITCHERS as the Bird would say.

here is the 2 t connectors, The terminator, power cable for the Nema 200 network and the Y cable for the XM receiver with the mount.
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Scott,
    I'll take a look at one of these this weekend. I think my dock neighbor has it. I'll give you a call next week and see if you still have it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

That works. check your PM box
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

7. Re: Garmin XM reciever

I have one of the Garmin XM/Weather units on my CC and love it, but don't love the service price. It's expensive - if you fish a lot offshore, however, it's worth every penny. If not, well, mine's inactive right now for exactly that reason.

Cell service does not compare; you can go nicely offshore (50+ miles) and this still works. You cell? Not so much.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I have the same plan (Master Mariner) works great on the Garmin 5212, and yes you can supend your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt View Post
    That is the antenna that I use for XM Weather and Sat radio on the Garmin. I like that you don't have to run the wire all the way to the mast, it shoots through the deck. They are overpriced in my opinion and I had to search for months to find one much under $400. I missed a few on ebay and craigslist but then finally managed to snipe one. Scott is not being unreasonable and because we know and trust him you know what you are getting, so I bet you guys can come together.

XM charges a one-time $50 activation fee and yes they will turn it on and off whenever you call them and instruct them to do so for no charge, they just pro-rate your usage that month. They have the $50/month Master Mariner plan which is what I use and recommend, and they also have two $30/month plans one for sailboats and one for fishermen both with reduced services more tailored to their needs. The Master Mariner is WELL worth the money! Just wait until you see the weather overlayed on your Garmin plotter screen. AWESOME!
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Packed in a box and ready to ship to it's new home.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Everyone is so quiet all of a sudden. I still have it with an antenna mount now.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.