Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dennis

1. Re: Dennis

Ok, we're hunkered down at the dock - the decision has been made.

I hope its the right one.

The storm isn't getting any stronger as of now, and hurricane wind swath is only 35nm from the eye - so it pretty much has to get you dead on for you to get anything over 75mph.

We just did Arlene in the marina, and were on board during it. No problems at all, and she was riding VERY well. That was very close to a 75mph storm.

If we get hit in the face I'm a bit concerned, but otherwise, we should be ok. My dock is very well-shielded from the south and east, which are the dangerous directions. About 3/4 of the boats in the marina did not leave. I've got my spiderweb out...

Wish Gigabite luck..... maybe this biatch will go west enough that we just get some wind and a bunch of rain...

Re: Dennis

good luck Karl.

Mario

Question Re: Dennis

Wish us Luck! Rafted up with thirty other boats in Little Briar Creek about ten miles up the Mobile river. Great thanks to Sonny Middleon at Dog River Marina for all his help with the preparations. Crossing my fingers that the "Patience" makes it.

God Speed!

Parker

Hope everyone made the right move - it looks like Dennis has played it's bluff. Last i read, it is still building. Hang on & good luck!
    Tom

5. Re: Dennis

I found a private dock this evening that is basically hurricane-proof. A friend had someone move his boat (which used to moor there for storms), and that spot is now Gig's for this storm and whatever in the future. Just got back from moving her - it was sporty out on the bay for the 15ish mile run, but we made it without incident.

If I get hosed there, then God hates me. I don't think there's better available anywhere in the Panhandle, its less than 5 minutes from the house, and I can get there any time (no flooding out risk on the roads between here and there) to check on her.

Y'all be safe - Dennis looks to be nasty, and it appears that its going up into Mobile Bay. If you're up there be damn careful - a direct hit with that kind of fetch into the bay can produce insane surge levels - look at what Pensacola got with Ivan....

6. Re: Dennis

Well, This storm is making me nervous. Even though I am on the Hill, There are 100 other boats cramed in there at Millers in Panama City. This damn storm is making me really nervous. I am so far from the boat and if some other boat falls on mine I guess it is screwed, but I just dont like this.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

7. Re: Dennis

Landfall in about 2 hours, looking to be a dead hit on Pensacola Bay. BAD NEWS for them. However, the hurricane wind core is only 40 miles in radius, which means that we're going to get nailed, but not TOO badly.

We're hunkered down in the house; still have power, cable, and internet. Cell and terrestrial phones are still up. Water is up about a foot and a half in the bay, but so far - and may God keep it this way - no huge surge. We're not leaving the house unless the water starts coming in what looks to be an uncontrollable fashion, which at this point I do not expect to happen.

I'd estimate sustained winds right now in the 50-60 mph range with higher gusts. Expecting to take winds in the 80-100mph range. Pensacola beach is getting plastered from the TV images I'm seeing; waves are coming up over the pier, which is 27 feet off the water.

SO FAR this is nowhere NEAR what Ivan presented to us; by this time during Ivan we had 100mph+ winds at the house. However, with Ivan we had no surge issues until several hours AFTER it came ashore - I have no idea if that will hold this time or not.

From what we see on TV, it doesn't appear that it was much of a storm? How did your boat do in Destin? Give us a rundown.
    Tom

9. Re: Dennis

Boat and house are fine, but power is out. I'm on my laptop in the driveway on my wireless right now...

It was a howler near here, and west of here it REALLY sucked. My understanding is that Navarre/Gulf Breeze got pasted, but I haven't been over there yet - we're under curfew. I may get out tomorrow and have a look around, as I have to go by the marina and see what's up over there.

Karl, good to hear you and your boat are ok

I hope Greg, Parker and Pat faired the same
    Last edited by MarioG; 07-10-2005 at 10:53 PM.