Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

King Starboard for ladder steps?

I need to fabricate some new step treads for an existing stainless steel ladder. The current steps are 21" wide by 7" and are likely plywood core with a pretty thin fiberglass shell. The ply is compromised so the steps are sagging in the center under even the smallest crew member. Rather than trying to replace the existing stiffening core material, I am planning to fabricate new treads in white King Starboard.

I'm wondering how thick the starboard needs to be to structurally support 200+ pounds in the 21 inch span of the step tread. My only experience previously with Starboard was in the 1/2" thickness, which has not very much integrity. Does anyone have any experience with the 1 inch thick Starboard material? Will it work as a ladder tread that is supported only at each side of a 21 inch span?
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Re: King Starboard for ladder steps?

Go one inch teak. Slip proof especially when wet. My OEM stern ladder which was shortened for a cockpit ladder had white nylon (?) steps that cracked around the bolts. I pulled them off and replaced with a teak ladder, then tossed the white ones to the ground and they shattered like glass... ws

yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

i would not use unsuportted starboard steps, they are not stiff enough . if you do, 1 inch would not be enough.IMO. premade teak steps can be had at west.

Starboard is a lot stronger and stiffer than many people think... 1"'should work in your case but test one plank first...

But i wonder if teak or mahogany won't be cheaper...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

This particular boat has no exterior teak. No need to introduce any. I mentioned this project to a friend who had a piece of 1" white StarBoard on hand. He GAVE it to me. No more calls, we have a winner~! My carpenter is fabricating the treads tomorrow. For the record, I will advise how this works out.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

That should work well for you. Ive got 7 steps that are 1.5inch starboard and have 'decorative' routed grooves/treads on them. No flex at all and no cracking, no maintenance

Check out Plasteak. A lot of the Tiara guys are replacing teak swim platform slats and ladder treads with the stuff. Not too bad looking. Several colors to choose.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Eric, I also have the starboard steps on the bridge ladder, 1" thick but they are mounted onto a 2" wide stainless flat bar welded between the ladder runners.

Colwyn.

I have 1" King Starboard flybridge ladder steps unsupported. They bend I'm sorry to tell you. My stainless guy is now fitting beams under each one of them to eliminate the problem.

Oh yeah unsupported waste of time! there is no stiffness to that stuff!

If you're routing groove which you needto do on the top for non slip. Route a big notch on the underside and add some support that is how I did mine.
    Last edited by 34Hatt; 05-19-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>