Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Baby monitors

Re: Baby monitors

If you mount it on a panel beware. try hooking it up to a battery before you run the wires and mount it. then find the place you think you want it and try it with the battery there too. If it's too loud maybe move it further from your head when you sleep.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    If you mount it on a panel beware. try hooking it up to a battery before you run the wires and mount it. then find the place you think you want it and try it with the battery there too. If it's too loud maybe move it further from your head when you sleep.
    Maybe I can get one that talks to me like the fire/CO2 detectors.
    Jack Sardina

Speaking of bilge alarms, I just had this custom panel made for the boat that I am about to install. All I am doing is running a lead from the light on the existing auto/manual panel switch of each bilge to this new panel. It has a piezo electric buzzer built in and I had them add a 2-minute delay so that it will not go off every time a bilge pump cycles. When a bilge pump cycles only the corresponding light will turn on but if for some reason the pump cannot evacuate the bilge in 2 minutes time, the alarm will then sound. This is a bilge alarm, not a high water alarm. This will be wired to the 5" bilge switches so that I will be alerted to any condition that the bilge pumps cannot handle BEFORE it ever gets to the 12" high water alarms. I also had them add a terminal on the back for an external alarm that I will install in the Master.

Besides the extra time this bilge panel will provide, an added benefit to this setup is that it will monitor more than just the forward and aft bilge compartments where the 12" high water alarms are located because it will also monitor the four other bilges in the boat for me in case there is a problem.
    Attached Images
    Byron
    "Sweet Melissa"
    Trident 78' Motoryacht
    www.SweetMelissa.info

Previously Owned Hatteras:
    1969 36C Hull #36C331
    1967 41TC Hull #41TC55
    1972 58YF Hull #58YF324

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt View Post
    Speaking of bilge alarms, I just had this custom panel made for the boat that I am about to install. All I am doing is running a lead from the light on the existing auto/manual panel switch of each bilge to this new panel. It has a piezo electric buzzer built in and I had them add a 2-minute delay so that it will not go off every time a bilge pump cycles. When a bilge pump cycles only the corresponding light will turn on but if for some reason the pump cannot evacuate the bilge in 2 minutes time, the alarm will then sound. This is a bilge alarm, not a high water alarm. This will be wired to the 5" bilge switches so that I will be alerted to any condition that the bilge pumps cannot handle BEFORE it ever gets to the 12" high water alarms. I also had them add a terminal on the back for an external alarm that I will install in the Master.

Besides the extra time this bilge panel will provide, an added benefit to this setup is that it will monitor more than just the forward and aft bilge compartments where the 12" high water alarms are located because it will also monitor the four other bilges in the boat for me in case there is a problem.

Looks nice. A pump counter would be a nice addition to the lights. This way you can see if a pump is cycling too much. I've caught potential problems that might have gone unnoticed without the counter.
    Jack Sardina

My Arid Bilge System (www.aridbilge.com) has the add-on counter which gives the running time for each of my nine zones the system monitors. I check it from time to time, generally reset the cumulative counters. I have caught two leaks, a/c pump and rudder stuffing box, before they became serious. It has turned out to be an unexpected benefit.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Yes, we use a baby monitor for relaying the anchor alarm on our chartplotter to our stateroom. May also help me get the jump on James River pirates!
    Michael & Cindy Ewing
    Southern Comfort, 1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Tidewater Yacht Marina
    Portsmouth, VA

Don't forget that everyone within 200 yards or more that has the same type baby monitor. Will hear every thing that gets sent or said. They all use the same set of frequency's. Hard wired is the best.

Bill