Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Listing to Starboard

Kismet has developed a 3 degree list to starboard that needs to be addressed.
    Obviously the easiest fix is to determine WHY she is listing, but to date, I don't think I've completely figured it out.

The only thing that has changed since the list began is that I moved the large L shaped fiberglass sofa from the main level aft salon (port side) to the flybridge starboard side. The sofa components weigh about 400 pounds. So in essence, I've moved 400 pounds from the port side low to starboard side high. Although I'm not a numbers guy, I'm guessing the combined change is about 1,000 pounds to starboard.

Fuel is full.
    When I began diagnosing the problem, the water tanks were empty. I put 200 gallons of water in the port tank (about 1500 pounds), which moved her back to level. Once I filled the starboard water tank, she went back to a 3 degree list to starboard.

I've discussed with my yard the idea of adding 1500 pounds of lead to the sides of the port laz, but before doing so, I wanted to query the group here.

Anything I'm missing or forgetting about?

By the way, lead isn't cheap these days! Plus, I hate the idea of just adding weight to make her float level. I guess the other answer is to try and find a matching L shaped sofa to put on the flybridge (port side).

Ideas/Suggestions/Recommendations are welcome!

Re: Listing to Starboard

Is there anything else you can move? Spare props and shafts weight quite a bit.

Relocate or add some inverter batteries. Move a generator?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I wish. Brand new batteries. Inverters are in place. Twin generators port/starboard. Significantly all of the granite countertops are on the port side.

The only other thing I'm considering is moving the dinghy from the centerline to athwartship, with the motor on the port side. That would move a few hundred pounds in the right direction.

Easiest answer right now is to leave the starboard water tank empty....

check behind drawers and throughout the boat to see if any ballast has been added that could be removed.
    Jack Sardina

By coincidence, the day I first inspected my new boat in Stuart (Someday, formerly Lady Caroline) she also listed slightly to Stbd, which I noticed immediately, but like you, could get no answer. Since the boat was unknown to me, it was not alarming, in your case, you know your boat so it is a different story.
    How about the anchor chain? could it be mis loading in the locker? A small move that far forward makes a big difference.
    In my case I installed a massive transformer to the boat & made certain it was installed in the Port & it is just about level now.
    How about a watermaker?

6. Re: Listing to Starboard

Don't know how the tankage and accessories are laid on on an LRC, but when I had a similar issue, I moved stuff as suggested above....aboard a 48 YF....props, stub shafts, spare outboard, portable generator, added an 8D battery on the high side and that took care of most of the list.

When I topped up fuel I could still notice a slight list, so for the first few hours running on three full fuel tanks I'd run both engines off the low side fuel tank....Took about 30-40 gallons of fuel usage to level the boat perfectly and then I'd run off both port and stbd fuel tanks.

When I sold the boat, the new owner wanted to store the 11 ft Whaler and mounted outboard away from the stern for easier dock access....so I installed a davit for a salon roof lift on the high side and he stored the Whaler and one outboard full time on the high side....that equalized everything.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I have to admit that if it was me and I really wanted that L shaped sofa where you now have it, I'd just accept the list and forget about it. I would not compromise other operations - like not filling a water tank - to correct it.

OTOH, obviously this is a personal decision and if that 3 degree list bothers you, then I certainly understand the "need" to correct it. Again, if it was me and I couldn't deal with the list, AND nothing could be moved around that you WANT to move around to fix it, I'd add the lead.

I would not inconvenience my use of the boat in any way to adjust the list - that would include moving furniture/other items to places where I don't want them, partially/not filling water/fuel tanks, etc.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Thanks to everyone for their creative ideas!

I agree with most of you that there's really no need to "move stuff around" just to accomodate the list. I'm better off just adding the weight (or as saltshaker said, REMOVE weight if it's found aboard).

The list is both annoying and problematic. 3 degrees is more than it seems. Enough to be very close to the exhaust, keep the starboard boot stripe wet and dry out the corks in my wine bottles.

Everything in the engine room is pretty symetric. Engines, Generators, Water Tanks, Shafts, Batteries (on centerline). Interesting thought about the chain rode. I can't foresee that being the problem, but one never knows!

If you have any other ideas, please keep them coming!

Thanks.

No way would I ever add weight to my boat to balance a list. Weight is lost fuel and speed. I would look at what I changed to make it list first. Then look at tool location. Hand tools add up to a lot of weight. Spare oil, lubes, paint and cleaning supplies. Check the galley. After a while the cook has a tendency to over stock and some things seam to never get used or removed. Start taking things off that are not needed. Every fall at take out I find it hard to believe the number of things that were on board that were not used.

BILL

Actually the math of the situation isn't linear. Every pound at the water line experiences an exponential increase to the righting moment (affecting list) the higher it is and the distiance from centerline. There are formulas for this based on stability figures for each vessel (TMI I know.) Suffice it to say that moving a setee from one side to the other at the same height above water line will have a cumulative impact on list. Raise it in the air by 10 ft and assuming equal distaance from centerline, will increase the impact to that side.

The suggestion to check for factory added ballast is a good one. I took a hundred or so pounds of lead from utboard of the stbd stringer below my master head that solved a list for me.

I would suggest referring to the build sheet (Hatteras keeps these documents for each vessel to see what was installed at the factory. Roger or Bruce would be a good resource as well as they have solved lists many thousands of times as boats left the factory and can tell you what may be in your boat.

Moving the tender is also a good suggestion. Since the weight is alread aboard it doesent impact efficency and just repositioning it will affect trim without impacting stability and righting moment like adding weight would.
    Shawn
    58 MY