Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: teak stairs

teak stairs

im refinishing the teak stairs to the bridge, wondering if anyone knows where a person can get tread protectors suitable for outdoor use the vinyl ones on ebay say for indoor use only. any suggestions?

2. Re: teak stairs

Marine stories typically have non skid stick-on strips. But the edges of those seem to lift after a winter or two and begin to look sloppy.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: teak stairs

Hi All,

To negate the slipperiness issue when we did our teak swim platform 2 seasons ago and the steps from the cockpit to the flybridge we added micro silica to the last coat which disappears in the varnish but when dry leaves a slightly gritty surface.

It takes enons to wear out and lets the full beauty of the teak out.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

if your varnishing you can tape off a patteren and use nonskid with varnish. do not use a your good brush

5. Re: teak stairs

The non-slip strips sold at home cheapo for bathtubs might be a good choice?

hmmm non skid in the varnish....why didnt i think of that?

Hi All,

WM, If you'd like me to find the exact product we used I'll be happy to rummage around down stairs, I think I know where it is in the plethora of boat stuff.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

hi gene, if you find yourself down there id greatly appreciate it! thanks, marc