Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thoughts and prayers to those in Deltaville/Glouster

Deltaville and Glouster got hammered by a nasty tornado last night. Some reports say the tornado was on/off the ground for up to 12 miles. 3 dead, 1 missing and up to 60 injured. Countless homes, boats, businesses and autos damaged/destroyed.

http://www.nbc12.com/link/484742/wav...ville-resident

My marina called this morning to let me know that Kismet was OK. The tornado missed the marina by about 1/4 mile. They said if she was in the water (she's on the hard having some bottom work completed), I probably would have some major damage. That said, boats can be replaced, lives can't.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those families affected. This is a small, close knit community of about 1,500 people. The scars will take a long time to heal....

Re: Thoughts and prayers to those in Deltaville/Glouster

Jeff, we are very happy that Kismet is OK.

We also feel terrible about the situation in Windsor, NC (Bertie County). Windsor is a small town and losing 11 of their citizens has to touch almost everyone in the area. Some of you may remember that Windsor had another major disaster last year with massive flooding throughout the area. Haven't yet been able to get in touch with our friend Al Jernigan, GM of World Panel, where many of us have purchased hardwoods for our boats.
    Michael & Cindy Ewing
    Southern Comfort, 1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Tidewater Yacht Marina
    Portsmouth, VA

Very sad. I saw the pics of those big homes that were shreaded. Deltaville is such a neat town, it is a shame. My wife has relatives in Gloucester county, fortunately they are OK. I bought my Hatt in Deltaville and really like the area. Prayers go out to them.

We drove down to Hatteras on Saturday for the day; on the way back, we were stopping for fuel and the wind nearly took the truck door off the hinges when I got out to pump the tanks full. And we were only in the outer bands of the storms... when I saw the TV news the next morning I was appalled. I've seen a tornado in Illinois when I lived there years ago; I don't want to see another. They are terrifying.

More lives would have been lost but for the fast thinking of some of the people down there who got folks to safety. But a very sad day regardless.

Jeff,
    Glad to hear that both you and KISMET are all right. However, you are right that events like this are terribly hard on small communities. Prayers that they recover quickly.
    Jeff