Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Golo Winch

Golo Winch

I have a Golo winch and in the control box is what I am binig told is a 40 microfarad capacitor and diode mounted on a small circuit board for dynamic braking. I have emailed Cordem and they no longer have this part. Any suggestions
    Curt

Re: Golo Winch

If you just need the capacitor and/or diode - if you can read the data on the components or have a schematic, Mouser will have them though you may have to pay 5 bucks to ship a 69 cent component!

I rebuilt the circuit board for my 32v seachlight with individual components from mouser - no trouble at all getting the parts.

http://mx.mouser.com:80/Home.aspx
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by cb48lrc View Post
    I have a Golo winch and in the control box is what I am binig told is a 40 microfarad capacitor and diode mounted on a small circuit board for dynamic braking. I have emailed Cordem and they no longer have this part. Any suggestions

I had mine explode like a grenade while it was in my hand. Blew the pendant box all to hell. I gutted all the electronic crap and wired the motor and pushbuttons as you would with a overhead crane. Its a std reversing circuit. Google it or wait for REB to respond.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Golo Winch said that it was a diode, but it looked more like a heat sink. If a diode is needed how is it used in the circuit.
    Curt

I think I still have the wiring diagram. I have found Cordem very helpful and a bunch of places like Mouser should have any component you want. But as I was tearing my control box apart i just decide to junk it, it had got so corroded and bought the new style controller from Cordem. $$$ (around $300 for switch and circuit box and power cable) but it has the proper circuitry to control the braking mechanism and is very heavily built.

They now have the circuit boards in the box that mounts to the winch, so much better protected. We are lowering and lifting a 1000lb Whaler from the boat deck of a 56MY, so the thought of bypassing the excellent braking system was not appealing to me at all. We use this winch a lot, not often in good conditions, as anchoring out is our preferred boating mileu.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

George can you send me the circuit?
    Curt

I'll see if I can scan it and e-mail it to you. Give me a day or two.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

A diode is used to allow electrons to flow in only one direction. If your looking at a wiring diagram a diode is drawn or shown as an arrow. The arrow is shown pointing in the direction of electron flow. It acts like a check valve for electricity. Without a wiring diagram I can't be sure but if it's in a being used for dynamic braking I'd bet it's there so that when the motor is being used as a brake it won't allow the motor to act like a generator and backfeed the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    I think I still have the wiring diagram. I have found Cordem very helpful and a bunch of places like Mouser should have any component you want. But as I was tearing my control box apart i just decide to junk it, it had got so corroded and bought the new style controller from Cordem. $$$ (around $300 for switch and circuit box and power cable) but it has the proper circuitry to control the braking mechanism and is very heavily built.

They now have the circuit boards in the box that mounts to the winch, so much better protected. We are lowering and lifting a 1000lb Whaler from the boat deck of a 56MY, so the thought of bypassing the excellent braking system was not appealing to me at all. We use this winch a lot, not often in good conditions, as anchoring out is our preferred boating mileu.
    there is no "braking mechanism" in any of the golo powerwinch's Ive had. Its done electricly by putting the motor into "locked rotor" Without it the cable only continues for a half inch or so. I've had more problems with the drum rotting out.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Back EMF shunted thru the defibrillator diode with the rectifier bridge to slow the flux of the motor as the magnetron field collapses.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381