Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Re-Finishing Swim Platform

Hi All,

Ang,

To answer your questoins.....Yes the swim platform was removed and refinished in the basement over the winter hence it was fully dried out.

Yes it's wet most of the 5 1/2 months we're in the water up here in New England. When shes on the hard shes shrink wrapped including the platform.

I haven't noticed the fading but I'll take a look tomorrow, it's interesting because they sell the UV protection factor as a big deal.
    Last edited by lumina; 04-16-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Beatley View Post
    Will be re-finishing teak swim platform next week. Looking at past threads, reference is made to "Bristol 2-part." What is the real name for the product?

Want to apply best product that will minimize maintenance. Swim platfrom stays wet on windy day. Suggestions?
    Outside of appearance, why would you want to put anything on a swim platform that would make it the least bit slippery??? Don't know what kind of boat you have, but if you're going to cruise the boat and have a MY with no cockpit and stay on the hook. You are going to be getting on and off your boat in your dink in all kinds of weather and the big boat is going up and the dink down just getting on the platform can be a hassel, let alone the problem if its slippery.

Again this is dependent on how you use the platform, we use it every day at least once and sometimes many times and in all kinds of weather so anything that will make it slick is a no no. Mine is 38 years old has never had anything applied to it that I can tell ,is never cleaned , unless in port and really bored and it is fine.

Hi All,

Ron, as I mentenioned in post #7 above we add micro silica to the last coat which disappears in the Bristol (or varnish) but when dry leaves a slightly gritty surface. Actually we use this approach on several exterior teak steps and stairs etc.
    Gene
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50

Quote Originally Posted by lumina View Post
    Yes the swim platform was removed and refinished in the basement over the winter hence it was fully dried out.
    OK...that's cheating! LOL
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

The problem with teak swim platforms is that they are made of many strips and pieces. I use Bristol on all my teak, but NEVER on the swim platform. Constant sun and seawater causes every stick to move in a different direction. Varnish cetol, Bristol, and all other hard finishes crack an peel almost immedietly. I used to just use taek oil, but I have found a new product that looks great and works great. The product is Cabot Australian oil. I use the "natural" color. I teak stripped and lightly sanded our swim platform before applying three coats of this stuff. After 3 months with 60 hours of running in South Florida, the finish still looks great. I just brushed another quick coat on as we will be leaving the boat in Miami and heading home to Detroit next week. I definetly recommend Cabot's Australian oil as the best product that I have used for teak swim platforms. Folks in this Miami marina with teak decks on sailboats use it on their decks also. Try it; you'll love it and it is easy to use.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Hi All,

Maynard, interesting problem (the teak pieces moving and Bristol cracking and all) but I must admit that hasn't been our experience.
    Gene
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50

Maynard, we used to use teak oil, and P.O. had varnish or cetol on it for many years. Now we keep bristol on the teak swim platform and have for about 8 years. We got it good and clean/dry. Our dock is sheltered and with low fuel the platform is about 8-9 inches above the waterline. Sanded top and sides - bottom looked sealed but nasty from 20 + years of stuff on it but nobody sees it anyway. 4-5 good coats of Bristol lasts us about 3 - 4 years with no maintenance, but it is mostly in the shade of the transom at our dock. As soon as it starts to fail/peel show bare wood, we spot sand put 3-4 coats of prime on the "repaired spots", lightly sand/feather and put 4 coats all over again. All is done in the water and at the dock. If not careful, some drips and runs/drops hang down below the platform, but we wipe the underside with a small rag as we go - that smears Bristol over the bottom side and may help to keep it sealed. Lasts several years and looks great. We don't use it much except for swimming/diving and an occasional dink trip or walking on/off to the dock at very high tides (mostly it is used as a slide for dragging big rockfish through the fish door!). Not too slipery in boat shoes even when wet with all the open slots that ours has.

This post just FYI. I love the variety of sucessful approahes different people find/share here. I have changed so many things about how work get done on our boat based on info here and benefitted greatly. What a great site this is!
    Best Regards, Bob K

I refinished my swim platform, cockpit steps and teak trim on the pulpit with Cetol. Started with about 3 coats and add a coat every year. Easy maintenance and looks great

Novus Vita
    58' YF

After refinishing mine twice, once with Bristol and once with 2 part epoxy resin, both done in dry winter storage and both lasted less than 2 years, I finally just sanded it down to bare teak, applied teak oil and let it go. After 3 years, lots of salt water and sun, it still looked great and the teak has a natural non-slip feel to it. That's what these old teak swim platforms were made to do. No reason to finish them.

For those who have been using teak oil, do try the Cabot Austrailian oil-natural color. You will be much happier and the finish looks better and lasts much longer than regular teak oil.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C