Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Oil Transfer Pump?

Newby, need to change oil, previous owner has drain lines off pan..now I need to find a good pump, prefer 120VAC, so, what is available/what are you using?
    Thanks,
    ed
    MV JJ FlyGirl
    53 MY

Re: Oil Transfer Pump?

I have a Reverso 12v gear pump which works well and is self priming after first use. They also make a 120v model.

Will

reverso has a great website with many clearance items. I have found their tech support and customer service top notch as well.

http://reversopumps.com/clearance-sale
    Shawn
    58 MY

I bought a Jabsco pump off ebay, replaced the impeller (for use with oil) and was done for just over 100.00.

Ben

I use the same thing just a cheap 110 volt pump think it's a jabsco. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

6. Re: Oil Transfer Pump?

A VANE pump is usually recommended for oil changes. But I don't know why an impeller for use with oil doesn't work just fine for the light duty stuff most of do ....

picture of the gizzards here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vane_pump

I spent about $100 for such an "oil change pump" and mounted it on the aft engine room bulkhead and plumbed it to oil drain lines from the engine and genny and oil pans....via a manifold I made from copper tubing, elbows and valves from Home Cheapo.... Used a smaller vinyl hose connection for the trannies and just stuck that one in the tranny dipstick hole...
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 04-28-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I went semi-deluxe and bought a 32V Oberdorfer reversible gear pump from Depco, understanding that gear pumps were ideal for this use. There was an existing spot on the ER fuse box for it, and some PO must have taken out the OEM one and left the manifold. So it was simple to mount it to the bulkhead, and wire up a momentary on-off-on switch to reverse and plumb to the manifold. I was doing oil changes every two- three months when we were cruising full time; great "Hatteras-y" piece of gear.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014