Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To document or not?

The CG documentation on Windsong has expired. What is involved in renewing it for a new owner and what are the advantages or other considerations?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: To document or not?

If you decide not to document, it is a simple form to release the documentation.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I got mine released over the phone, but I don't remember who I called. You also get your title back when you opp out.

BILL

When I bought the sub it was DOCd only. No title existed for the boat. Once back in Illinois waters, they required a title and REG numbers. I had to Delete from DOC and apply for a title. That was a 3 year debaucle unto itself. Every correspondence with the state meant a 6-8 month wait for a reply.
    The final straw came when they wanted a a pencil rub of the HINs on the transom... mine were long gone from the cockpit that was added on in 1980. I spent months trying to get an answer from the cockpit guys to no avail. This kept me in LIMBO with no REGs and no DOC! Finally I had a DNR cop come to the boat and verify my story etc as sworn and he issued me a field copy AND a direct contact finally to get this all secured. A title and REGs was issued and this chapter only took 3 months!
    IMHO... drop the DOC. Its good for an owners historesis, but most states require REGs now as well. YSMV (your situation may vary). If you are on great lakes waters without at least a REG sticker displayed, you are asking for a boarding.
    The other issue about DOC'd is that in a state of war, the USCG can conscript your vessel and do as they please with it. Theres many a horror story about yachts that were converted into patrol boats during WWII and returned to the owners in less than servicable condition. You want some SPLIB in D.C. to confiscate your yacht?? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Hi All,

David, see the link below it is a recent thread about this same subject basically.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17332
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

6. Re: To document or not?

Documentation: You might want to sign up and search at Trawlers and Trawlering (T&T)forum and see what they have to say about documentation.

If you live aboard, have a legal address in a state without boat taxes, and travel from state to state while living aboard, there are (or were) state tax advantages. I checked off a box on my original documentation papers that I was NOT registering the boat in any state. Some liveaboards have a legal and mailing address in a state without boat taxes nor state income taxes and consequently save money.

I lived in one state, kept the boat maybe five mos in winter in another state, and then spent about 6 mos cruising among four other states. I was inspected and checked by several police and USCG during my ownership and no one hassled me. Once they saw federal documentation that was the proof of ownership they were apparently seeking. My Whaler which I carried aboard was registered and had numbers affixed.

Since I was aboard roughly 7 or 8 mos annually maybe I was a "liveaboard" ...I don't know what that means legally.

When I last read anything about all this at least five years ago, Florida was especially vigilant and had very explicit rules which were spelled out in T&T..and were available online as I recall at the Fla state tax website. As I recall, if you bought a documented boat out of state and kept it out of Fla for a period (maybe it was six mos) there was no tax when the boat was brought into Florida....but that may not be a correct recollection and rules may have changed so you need to check around for your state. At the time new boat dealers had to report sales to Fla residents and if I recall correctly if you stayed in Fla too long before moving the boat home to another state, sales tax was due even though you lived elsewhere.

So maybe a good first stop is to read your own current state rules and regulations online.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 04-06-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

7. Re: To document or not?

David, here's the link to the USCG site:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/default.asp
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Our boat had been documented and the most recent PO let it expire. I filled out a form and sent in the fee which I believe was less than $100 to redocument the boat.

In Mississippi a documented vessel does not need to be registered and I like being a name rather than a number. Other states may have different policies.

If you are "Proud to be an American", you can make your boat a "Vessel of the United States" for minimal cost and effort. Documentation will allow a Preferred Ship Mortgage, Beyond that, your documentation and $5 will get you a 6 pack at most convenience stores.

Regards,
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

9. Re: To document or not?

An advantage to having a documented boat is that when you go to sell it, an ABSTRACT OF TITLE can be obtained from the USCG to find out about any liens. A buyer might feel more comfortble in the purchase. If you are buying and want to finance part of the purchase price the lender will require documentation to issue a First Preferred Ship's Mortgage.

10. Re: To document or not?

"(with documentation)...an ABSTRACT OF TITLE can be obtained from the USCG to find out about any liens..."

I've always heard that, but what I never understood is why when a boat is state registered liens couldn't be filed against the state title of ownership....Is that not part of state law??
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.