Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

light bulbs discontinued?

the lightbulbs in the main cabin are burned out. i called sylvania they said they no longer make them. these bulbs are tube style clear glass with fillament. any ideas on what i should do? switch to flourescent or what ? i really dont need any more projects to take on right now

Re: light bulbs discontinued?

You can still get lumiline bulbs at many places. Here's one: http://1000bulbs.com/search/?q=lumiline . Make sure to save the clips that are snapped on the ends of the bulbs for the new bulbs, The clips are very hard to come by. The nice thing about these bulbs is that they are dimmible and for some reason don't appear to attract bugs.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

If you are in need of clips and can afford to take some time, they can be had on ebay. If they are advertised correctly, expect a bidding war. Many who restore juke boxes are in dire need of them. I was lucky and stumbled upon several posted as a "science light." Basically a homemade plywood box with four fixtures inside. No one noticed what the light source was so I was able to pick them up cheap. Disassembled, saved 8 clips and discarded the rest. Took me about 3 months to track down. If you want to replace the fixtures, you may be able to get enough for your clips to buy new fixtures.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

For what it’s worth - the clips 'pry' out. Try not to break the black plastic covers over clip when doing so, but if the plastic breaks not really a big deal as clip still usable. Found best way is to put small screw driver in where prongs extend out and pry out against metal end of bulb they snap into. Posted similar question years back and Thankful to members who told me these were clips as they look like integral part of bulb, probably would have thrown out otherwise. Interesting that clips are worth so much (thanks Timeout!).

Last time I ordered bulbs was fromthis place. Website is very easy to navigate and I just did model number searches from the original Hatt manual and they had everything. I keep a stock of all the bulbs on the boat and just re-order online when i get low.

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/default.asp

Also The were 30% cheaper than "WASTE" marine or even defender or jamestown.
    Last edited by sandspur1966; 04-05-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Atlanta has every bulb used on our 53MY - including instrument and panel bulbs. They also had the 32v searchlight bulb a couple years ago though I can't say if they still do.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Atlanta has every bulb used on our 53MY - including instrument and panel bulbs. They also had the 32v searchlight bulb a couple years ago though I can't say if they still do.
    They don't have the 32v GE #1946 Halogen searchlight bulb or the tube style 32v bulbs for the overhead lights. Other than that, you are probably correct.

Sams has most of the bulbs as well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

That tube 32v was 25 bucks from them last time I bought one. But that was in '09 so I guess they have quit stocking them. I don't suppose there is much of a demand!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

cool thanks guys and good call on the clips i would have thrown them out..

What clips are you talking about? Nothing comes to mind like that that I've ever seen on my boat. Maybe I don't have any of those kinds of light. ???
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com