Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: What do you guys consider "tight" confines for maneuvering?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    No big deal unless you're in a bad crosswind. Then it's just a matter of carrying a little more speed in order to maintain control. You can always back into the canal when it's flat so you won't have to worry about backing out when it's not. I've been in lots of places I couldn't spin around in.
    No big deal as long as you don't mind a broken swim platform.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Would doing this be a pain in the A##? Mangroves and boat lifts have overtaken this Keys estuary:

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras 1985 View Post
    Would doing this be a pain in the A##? Mangroves and boat lifts have overtaken this Keys estuary:

Only if your neighbor gets a bigger boat and blocks you in.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

one thing to think about is if the bottom is silty you will be sucking up all that crap into your engines. I try not to do too much manuvering in these kind of areas where your blowing clouds of silt off the bottom.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    No big deal as long as you don't mind a broken swim platform.
    What does anything I said have to do with breaking a swim platform?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras 1985 View Post

Why not just take your boat into some tight areas and see how it feels to you? Oh yeah, does your sportfish have a swim platform?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

One question, is that 40' of clear space (dock to dock/shore) in that canal or the distance from bank to bank?

If it's dock to shore/dock and there are boats on the dock with 15' beams, you do the math.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    one thing to think about is if the bottom is silty you will be sucking up all that crap into your engines. I try not to do too much manuvering in these kind of areas where your blowing clouds of silt off the bottom.
    Those kinds of waters are hard to avoid in the Keys...

Hi All,

We all work together whenever we leave or return, but the credit really belongs to my guys John and Joe and their knowledge and natural skill and ability at handling boats of any size.

When I opt out of a really tough one Joe takes over. I have seen Joe back us into a slip in Nantucket when there was maybe a foot of clearance between us and a mega yacht, a little touch here a little nudge their and we slid right in without even touching the pilings. John always on alert giving directions and handling the lines.

There was one time at Oak Bluffs when the wind was howling in one direction and the cross current was racing in the other and Joe just pushed right thru, spun that baby around and slid right into the slip like he was backing into a parking spot.

They are both great guys and care about my boat almost as much as I do. They are a tremendous help. (although sometimes they can make me CRAZY)

I'm really very fortunate to have them to rely upon.
    Last edited by lumina; 04-11-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

I live on a 60' wide canal and have to back in every time from the intersection with the ICW (about 500'). Its a little tricky with a crosswind, but no big deal as long as you keep the props in the center. I have to back in because even though the canal is wide enough to turn around in, it is not deep enough near the sides. Most residential canals tend to silt up around the sea walls and only maintain good depth near the center. On a m otor yacht a bow thruster would certainly be helpful, but its a piece of cake on a sportfish.
    1979 43C