Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Underwater LED's

I'm getting ready to do a haul out in the next few weeks and thinking about adding a few underwater LED's while she's on the hard.

Seems there are some old threads - but I don't see anything current.

Anyone have any new technology/recommendations they'd like to comment on?

Thanks!

Re: Underwater LED's

I installed one of these last season: http://www.tojoseabelow.com/ I liked the idea of not drilling a useless hole in the boat. This thing screws into a drain plug fitting on the stern, which I did not previously have, but installed. It works OK but its not really very bright. I see on their site that they have a newer version that looks like it's brighter. If you want it to light up the night with a big show, you may want three of them. Bearing in mind that they stick out, these only work on the transom.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

That's an interesting idea. Of course, it would mean installing a drain plug, but I'm going to be putting new holes in the boat anyway....

The obvious concern is the 32v system. I'll need to run the LED cable to under the pilothouse, where there's already a 32 to 12v converter - unless anyone else has a better recommendation (not a short run!).

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTucker View Post
    I'm getting ready to do a haul out in the next few weeks and thinking about adding a few underwater LED's while she's on the hard.

Seems there are some old threads - but I don't see anything current.

Anyone have any new technology/recommendations they'd like to comment on?

Thanks!
    There are several options.We had a rep from a company at the last Hatt class.Ask Roger W or maybe someone here can help you that was in the class. Seems like there are two ways to do this.Option One is to run the wiring thru the holes for the tabs or to drill.I like the tabs option.You run the wire thru the wiring holes for the tabs and mount the lights to the tabs.Corse if you have the money go Full Monty so they can be seen from space!!!!Robby

LED's are pretty tolerant of a various range of DC voltage. These may work fine on 32v. It would be worth an e-mail to the supplier with that question.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Hurley has underwater lights that attach to the topside of your trim tabs. By adjusting your tabs you can direct the lights, and there are no holes in your hull to bore below the waterline. Definately not cheap though ....

http://www.hurleymarine.com/Underwater_Lights.html
    john mencel
    '86 36' sedan
    "Hatt Last"
    Bayfield, Ontario
    CAT 3208T's

I have Ocean LED's a little more expensive. There are lots of options. check out www.yachtlights.com

Good luck

We have Ocean 2010 LEDs on our 1985 43 MY and love them. I have heard of some folks that regret going with the cheaper screw in versions. Could be a brand issue.
    Ours are over 3 years old and fine (knock knock). Simple installation and DC power is convenient and quiet.
    Regards
    Dan

I installed the Hurley's on my Trim Tabs in November 2009. They work great, I have 24 volt versions and they are power hungry, but once the battery charger is on, its not a big deal.
    Attached Images
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

We used a product from S&S marine in Saybrook, CT (ssmarinect.com). They have a lot of different sizes/color options. Fairly inexpensive, if I recall around 250.00 per light (the largest available) as compared to thousands for Ocean Led. We put in 7 lights- 5 across the transom and 2 down lights (outside the rudders) on the bottom. These lights also protrude about an inch and are attached with a few screws, 5200 & one hole for the low voltage wire (3/16"). We manufactured some fairing blocks for the 2 bottom lights & 30 degree "wedges" for 2 of the 5 transom lights, the other 3 were flat mounted. Took 2 hours to install all lights and another 2 hours to complete the wiring and mounting of the power supplies and switches. They run on 12vdc and "Meanwell" makes a ton of power supplies for any application (120vac-12vdc,32vdc-12vdc etc...) we used three 60w 120vac primary 12vdc secondary power supplies. There are a few pics of them in my folder, too computer stupid to know how to attach them.
    50c-1980-DYLAMAR