Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

rudder shaft packing

Have any of you guys ever repacked the rudder stuffing boxes with the boat in the water? Can it be done if I'm only adding material?
    James 37

Re: rudder shaft packing

Good question. Mine are leaking a little. Actually alot when I got back off a little day cruise. My neighbor commented that my aft bildge was running a couple times per day. Now, they arent leaking, just weeping. I'm wondering if thats normal to leak alot then stop a few days later. Well, maybe mine needs packing too.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I was led to believe it was possible. Do a search on rudder packing and you'll see what I saw.

In the Bahamas once with my bilge pumps starting to work a little more than normal in my then 43 hatt. Traced water source to the port rudder and the packing was changed while in the water. Should know what you are doing or get help. Be sure your bilge pumps are in good working.

Seems like it would be easier (less water rushing in) than doing prop shafts in the water though I don't know that for sure since I've never done rudders. I've pulled all old material/installed new packing in the prop stuffing boxes in the water on our 53MY several times.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

You can do it either way. If there's enough room after backing off the packing nut and collar, you can sometimes add a ring or maybe even two. You can also pull out the old packing and put in new but it can look pretty scary with all that water rushing in.

Either way, it's best to cut your packing rings prior to backing off the nut to avoid having to watch the flood for a prolong period of time.

Will

Did both rudders 2 months ago 58 MY in the water, precut the stuffing 2 per side, had big wrench, came with boat, jig sawed access, 2 hours, no leaks, thanks to all here.
    Stewart

I cant remember repacking a stuffing box out of the water so I think it can be done. Usually adding a ring is all it takes.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by James37 View Post
    Have any of you guys ever repacked the rudder stuffing boxes with the boat in the water? Can it be done if I'm only adding material?
    James 37
    I have done both the rudder and shaft stuffing boxes. As stat6edbbefore have everything ready to go. If you are just adding material, water intake will be a lot less, for obvious reasons.

I also need to do mine on my '79 43C. Anybody know what size packing is required, as well as what length to cut them to in order to make a complete circle? What is the recommended material these days? I haven't done this job in about 15 years, and that was on my 32' wooden Chris Craft with much smaller hardware.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau