Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Enlarging bunk

Enlarging bunk

I am considering the removal of the starboard storage compartment next to the berth in the aft cabin. Looks like doing so will widen the berth by 8 inches or so. Then custom making a matress to fit the new widened area. Any one performed this operation on a twin berth 43DC?
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Re: Enlarging bunk

WOW...that's a major move, will that not reduce to potential sales ability for couples ??

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    WOW...that's a major move, will that not reduce to potential sales ability for couples ??
    He's making the bed bigger...how will that affect couples in a negative way?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Less storage space for stuff......wives like lotsa drawers and closet space.

Plus they frequently like being closer in the bunk!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Saw this on yachtworld and copied it. Takes out drawers space but you could get more back under the berth extension.
    Attached Images
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

I never found that space to be very useful as it is oddly shaped and stuff piled high falls out pretty easy when you slide doors open. Really good idea about enlarging bed. Hope someone has feedback on it. I bought 9" twin foam mattresses last year on Overstock.com for $100 a piece that work really well. Bet you could buy a Full Size for slightly more, unzip cover, cut foam to fit with a turkey carving knife, modify cover with some new sewn seams and be done on the cheap.

We are in the process of doing a similar upgrade in our 58YF. The bed was originally from the side window and came across the middle of the cabin. We turned that bed put in a queen, removed the cupboards on the other end and installed a full so the room now sleeps four comfortably.

Still have incredable amount of storage under the beds and pull out draws for clothes etc. We installed a chest of draws in between the beds and the room still looks grand.

We have a big family so couples space is not a priority. Still have alot of space for whatever we want.