Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. How NOT to fuel a boat

Boat Explodes Off Georgia

6/22/2005 11pm report

By Tiani Jones
    First Coast News

GLYNN COUNTY, GA -- A boat exploded off the coast of Georgia Wednesday night. Witnesses say the owner put 262 gallons of fuel in a 200 gallon fuel tank.

The explosion happened while the boat was docked at the Two Way Fish Camp in Glynn County. Larry Kicklighter said he saw the disaster coming and warned the boater, "Whatever you do don't try and start that boat."

Kicklighter says the boater did not follow his advice, "And [the explosion] blew him overboard."

"Fire and smoke everywhere. In fact, I thought it was going to get under the dock," he said.

Other witnesses say the man's clothes and skin were ripped off in the explosion.

The boater was taken to a local hospital and then transferred to the burn unit at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Ga. Officials tell us he is in critical condition.

Created: 6/23/2005 1:00:09 AM
    Updated: 6/23/2005 2:05:28 PM
    Edited by Tiani Jones, Reporter

Re: How NOT to fuel a boat

Does it mention if he caused a "sheen" of fuel on the water. Sorry, not funny, but could not resist.

other news reports say fuel had been dumped overboard, probably by the bilge pump. well at least he had one... when someone is that stupid you wonder...

they also said there were a women and a child with him, luckily standing on the dock.. child was ok, women had minor injuries.

throw the book at him... child endangement, battery, etc...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I usually have a hair trigger on calling 911 on that type of situation and let the authorities sort it out. Sounds like this would have been a good candidate!

Once while fueling my old gas Chris, I had an attendent approach me with the fuel nozzle in one hand, and a lit cigarette in his mouth. Needless to say, we had a discussion before he got near me.

Ah well, when I was a young teenager we used to amuse ourselves by flipping lit cigarettes into the gasoline we used to clean parts. We were convinced using gas for cleaning wasn't dangerous at all because not once did the flipped cigarette ever light the gas.

Later I grew to understand the process a bit better...

Given your tendency to "experiment", it's fortunate you survived to grow to understand the process.

Did you ever wonder how many people's famous last words were: "Hey y'all, watch this."