Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

43 DC 1974 cutlass bearing? I will haul out soon please

Hi to everyone: I will do the work my self like always so I want to have all materials in hand. I know my DC use 4 cutlass bearings two in each side does anyone know if they are the same and the part number and meassure? I have the original shafts. And last one how many galons for two good coats of antifouling paint? Thanks for the help. Mario

Re: 43 DC 1974 cutlass bearing? I will haul out soon please

Are you removing the shafts or will you have the tool to do it with them in. Cutlass bearings are a pain in the butt with the shafts in especially of you have 2 per shaft. The tool is not cheap but will be necessary if you don't remove the shafts.

Bottom paint varies a bit but I used 3 gals on a 43DC and did 2 full coats and a third on the waterline. make sure you put hard over hard and ablative over ablative.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I had my port side one done at Owl Creek and they just dropped the aft strut and the rest was easy, strut went back in and alignment was perfect, then the did the warrant on my Norpro gen set.

No my plan is to remove all the paint in the shaft and hit the cutlass little by little in the back with a lot of soap I do that in other boat and works. If anyone know my correct size and part number for the bearings? Thanks

Smile Re: 43 DC 1974 cutlass bearing? I will haul out soon please

I would wait till the bearings are out unless 100% sure are original, also, the aft strut is coned on the the shaft input end and there is no way to remove that bearing or replace the other one without either dropping the aft strut or shaft removal, when you do either of those then no special removal tool required, you may have to put a knurl on the end of the new bearings if they are a bit on the loose side, Strut removal a lot easier than shafts, also, some people cut the cone off the aft strut for easier service to bearings later.....your choice..good luck..