Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

strut bearing screw

Just finished changing cutlass bearings, both struts had bronze screws that are not reusable after removal. Can stainless be used in the struts?

Also the bearing housings that are in the hull, one had screws like the struts
    the other does not have any?

1978 37' convertable

Thanks,

Re: strut bearing screw

Stainless is fine, especially in fresh water.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Scott, I have recently replaced my cutlass bearings. They had stainless screws fitted in all bearings, two in each. Most came out ok. The ones that didn't I drilled and re tapped bigger. Stainless went back in. That would have been 20 years in seawater so stainless would seem to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mather View Post
    Just finished changing cutlass bearings, both struts had bronze screws that are not reusable after removal. Can stainless be used in the struts?

Also the bearing housings that are in the hull, one had screws like the struts
    the other does not have any?

1978 37' convertable

Thanks,
    Did you change the cutlass bearings in the shaft tubes as well.Just did mine and found one of the shaft tubes had the set screws on top instead of the bottom,that was fun

Quote Originally Posted by Hatt-Trick View Post
    Did you change the cutlass bearings in the shaft tubes as well.Just did mine and found one of the shaft tubes had the set screws on top instead of the bottom,that was fun

That is what i was explaining, could not find set screws on one of them.

On top, it was hard enough getting the bottom ones out.

scott,

Got the other shaft tube bearing out, sure enough screws were on the top?

Drilled and tapped from the bottom.

scott,

Set screws on top and bottom... ws

yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

My starboard was fine but portside the set screws were on top,so removed the shaft tube ,redid the cutlass bearing and reset the shaft tube ,cleaning it up,prep the hull,5200 everything and bolted it back together replacing the bronze screws etc.