Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Tsunami in Japanese harbors

It appears that like in a hurricane, even if your boat is securely fastened unless you are uptream of floating boats/ships/houses and other debris, damage is likely. I wonder what the relative force of all the debris is rising versus falling water heights.....because much is subsequently swept out to sea....

Portions of some of these are on tv...more than I have seen there appears below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YPOK_3r8Dc&feature=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YPOK_3r8Dc&feature=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTJy5mWejA&feature=
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

2. Re: Tsunami in Japanese harbors

If you notice boats going over small "waterfalls" they do quite well..initially...but the sideways movement in current gets them stuck under the "falls" flow in the backtow....looks like they'd fill up from the water fall......so anybody having to ride such a fall should run their boat parallel with the wate flow...perpendicular to the waterfall itself...could also drag an anchor to keep such an alignment....
    Rob Brueckner

Re: Tsunami in Japanese harbors

There is a photo in NYTimes yesterday of a ferryboat sitting on top of a building in Japan...all those people dead, all the living ones homeless, and radiation leaking out of the damaged reactors. I can't imagine a worse situation.

4. Re: Tsunami in Japanese harbors

I've been following the radiation and reactor stories....mostly hype and uninformed, likely biased, articles........There seem to be political motivations in some articles....

"Meltdown" while possible is not likely....and there is NO evidence of such yet.....all the radiation testing of the public is precautionary....those reactors were 40 years old, some already scheduled for de commissioning and others were to be scheduled soon....

Good background and links to reliable technical sources here on PHYSICS FORUMS:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...panese+nuclear

Note the posts from "Astronuc"...an ex astrophysicst then nuclear engineer...
    Rob Brueckner

The only real meltdown that has occurred with radiation release was at Chernobyl, and wasn't that because there was no containment vessel? I don't think that's going to occur here; I certainly hope not. Just as it is, I can't imagine how long it will take to rebuild all that damage. Years, maybe decades.

If they have not yet secured cooling water to the rods something really wrong, a backup, without on site generators is available......fire trucks,,hoses to salt water and away you go..any excuse otherwise is criminal .

Difficult as it is to believe, one of the Gen Sets driving a sea water pump, at one of the nuke sites, ran out of fuel today sometime, thereby, without water flow, allowing the rods to be exposed. At least, that is what one website reported.

Of course, I have run out of fuel "once" in my life, about 2 miles from the fuel dock, which will "never" happen again. I allowed the Admiral to push to get home and by-passed the fuel dock, when I started out, so the "bad" is on me for that one.

But to allow the fuel to run out at a genset, during this nuke emergency is hard to fathom.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

[QUOTE=spartonboat1;183685]Of course, I have run out of fuel "once" in my life, about 2 miles from the fuel dock, which will "never" happen again. I allowed the Admiral to push to get home and by-passed the fuel dock, when I started out, so the "bad" is on me for that one.
    QUOTE]

Oh NO! The good thing is I bet ever since then your Admiral *NEVER* questions the Captain's judgement ever again!
    Byron
    "Sweet Melissa"
    Trident 78' Motoryacht
    www.SweetMelissa.info

Previously Owned Hatteras:
    1969 36C Hull #36C331
    1967 41TC Hull #41TC55
    1972 58YF Hull #58YF324

They are using firetrucks and seawater. I think the problem is that the pressure is so high they can't get water into the area they need to....

I suspect the next generation of reactor installations will have backup gensets located well above the flood plain; the current ones were not, and were drowned by the seawater coming in on the flood waves. That is why the cooling systems failed- there are battery backups, but they ran down, and there were no generators available to take over. A shame, and sad to say, a foreseeable one.

[QUOTE=ThirdHatt;183698]
    Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    Of course, I have run out of fuel "once" in my life, about 2 miles from the fuel dock, which will "never" happen again. I allowed the Admiral to push to get home and by-passed the fuel dock, when I started out, so the "bad" is on me for that one.
    QUOTE]

Oh NO! The good thing is I bet ever since then your Admiral *NEVER* questions the Captain's judgement ever again!
    No, now the Admiral always asks "Have you checked the fuel yet?"...and I better, or I hear about it!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...