Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

8v71 antifreeze/coolant recommendations

I'm sure this has been been discussed before, but there are hundreds of posts including these words.

What is the consensus on coolant and/or additives for DDs, and how much do I need to have on hand? What is the best way to drain the old stuff for proper disposal?

The green stuff looks clean, but I'm sure it was never changed by the PO in at least 4 years. I'll be replacing old tired hoses and installing Kim Hotstart heaters and thermostats at the same time. Anything else I should do while the coolant is drained? I have no overheating issues, knock on wood.

Re: 8v71 antifreeze/coolant recommendations

Install a coolant filter.
    JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Tell me more, please. I thought most people have removed the old coolant filters.

David DD makes there own coolant. I'd use that if not make sure you use an additive.

or use distilled water and nalcool.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

In all engines some rust is formes and a coolant filter is going to catch that material.

As far as Nycool use, the nitrite charge in Nycool is ample to meet the 1200- 2400 PPM requirement for an wet sleave engines, the 92s and others. That nitrite amount is designed to prevent coolant cavation, cavation is when small air bubbles are created by the activity of the liners and then colide with the liner and implode eating the liner away. Nitrite is also consumed and needs to be replaced in some wet liner engine modles, most actully.

Using as coolant filter you are able to select a filter that has the correct nitrite precharge to address that loss of nitrite. Coolant cavation is not an issue in 71s like mine, but since the engines are '73 I'd like all the protection I can get. The filter is catching debris and maintaining coolant condition.

In the end an extra $15 filter doesn't change the cost of a boating season enougt to make a differance.

It's worth it to me, and if you have wet liners it can save an overhaul. I've seen highway engeins cavate a liner in 10,000 miles.

JM
    Last edited by Glory; 02-23-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Use DD Powercool. Get their test strips and check the coolant at each oil change to make sure you have the proper amount of additives.

Dump old coolant overboard (just kidding ). Try one of the oil change places for coolant disposal.

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/pdf/voc...Selections.pdf
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

What is the coolant capacity of 50/50 coolant and where is the best place to get it-8V71?

Don't get cheap on Detroit coolant.
    Your manual will offer cap spec on a stock Detroit install. Call a real DDC shop with your serial number for capacity when you order your correct PowerCool.

Please review comments in;
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?13632-8v92-s-Coolant-Capacity-27Gal&p=418437#post418437
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-30-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by witold933252763 View Post
    What is the coolant capacity of 50/50 coolant and where is the best place to get it-8V71?
    If memory serves me it’s 12 gallons per engine.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California