Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Jenn-Air Electric Grill

I have a Jenn Air electric grill on the bridge of my 56 MY. I have never really used it much because it is painfully slow to grill anything and if there is any sort of breeze, it is even slower. It occurs to me now after owning the boat for the past 13 years that the grill just might not be working properly. Does anyone have any experience with these electric grills? Should it take 20-30 minutes to grill a hot dog on it? Could the cow rods be half burned out? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Jenn-Air Electric Grill

I had one in my home and if they are the same then you definitely have a problem. The one I had worked great.

It could be a 230 volt appliance the is connected to a 115 volt supply.
    Check the grill for voltage info and the voltage of the wiring.

Good suggestions. I am pretty sure that it is wired properly as I recall having to throw two breakers to turn it on. However, it is reassuring to know that it is not just taking up space but can be fixed. It takes at least 20 minutes just to warm up--and then--not really that hot.

Test the voltage at the unit. If both breakers are on the same phase or 115 circuit that could be the problem.

Thanks. Would it work at all if wired incorrectly that way?

It may work as you explained or not at all. Low heat if one leg is dead, neutral or same circuit.

Thanks.

Sounds exactly like one leg of power. If the installer was not familiar with the panel, he may have thought it was just like in a house where the breakers alternate from one pole to the next. Without looking at which bus each leg is fed from, he may have hooked both up to the same one.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have a double burner Jenn Aire on the FB and it cooks steaks just like at home. I had a problem throwing the breaker, but got that fixed. Definitely sounds like you're not getting enough power. Also, do you have a cover to close it off when its breezy?